When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How much can you regulate a watch?

slask111

Hi,

I got a noob pam 111 this morning from one of our small td`s. Its powered with an asian 6497 movement. The watch runs fast.. about 4 minutes on every hour. Thats about 1.5 hours each day. So what to do? Can you regulate that movement when it runs that fast (to big of a fault) or should i just send it back to the dealer?

Im no wis when it comes to movements, im more into the looks of the watch. But 1.5 hours it a bit to much of an error if you ask me. I read somewhere that the movement sometimes need a few days of running time to adjust themselves. I dont belive that for a minute (no pun intended), its mechanics and should work of the bat. But pls let me know if im wrong in this.

Thnx for your time.

DSC_1202_1.jpg

Watch needs the timing/beat error adjusted, you can try it on your own, but in order to achieve proper adjustment you will need a timegrapher. You could probably get away with the iphone/ipod app Kello, but it wont be as good. Check the forum I am sure there is thread explaining the procedure.

Watch needs the timing/beat error adjusted, you can try it on your own, but in order to achieve proper adjustment you will need a timegrapher. You could probably get away with the iphone/ipod app Kello, but it wont be as good. Check the forum I am sure there is thread explaining the procedure.

i doubt you will adjust 4+ min/hour out of it!

I'll go with magnetized or tangled hairspring. Frank's "palm slap" is the cheapest service around, and does help a small percentage.

O/S

Offshore, your right about taking out the 4+ minutes, but by the looks of it the hairspring in the picture, it does not seem distorted in anyway or tangled at all, it looks normal and completely concentric, assuming that's the picture of the watch. I would imagine that the 4+ is a guesstimate since there is no test equipment to verify the watches true timing, and the fact that the user just received the watch a few hours before.

He could smack it, but if the hairspring has been magnetized it will continue to affect the watches performance. I believe it is an amplitude problem, if the balance has a very small amplitude swing it will make the watch run fast. It could be an improper main spring, not allowing enough amplitude to the balance. It could also be a problem with improper oiling, or problems with the gear train, escapement wheel, extra extra. The only true way to know is to put it on a timegrapher and check beat error, adjustment and amplitude. This could be a long list of possible defects, but judging by the picture, the hairspring does not look magnetized. Though of course I could be wrong, I am only going by the one picture given.

See picture below, the hairspring shows no deformity and is evenly distributed within the red circle.

It doesn't seem to be sticking to the balance [censored] either. Funny, the profanity editor censored [censored] so lets try balancecock

post-6753-0-98555500-1343371541_thumb.jp

Thnx for all input. The picture included above is from the watch i have problems with. Im on Android so i dont have the software to check the timing. My estimate 4 minutes is just from looking at the dial.. but it seems correct. I did try the "slap" service but it didnt help at all.

I guess i have to contact the dealer for a change/repair. I knew something was about to go south when the mailman arrived with a big envelope and a watch wrapped in some bubble wrap. I would never send a watch that way.