When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Datejust Crown problem

yeldarb

Okay so I just finished fixing the keyless works on the ETA 2836-2 in my datejust and glued back the overlay onto the date wheel which took me a while cause I'm a noob, and now after putting everything together the crown and stem are giving me problems. After pulling the crown out to set the time I have trouble pushing the crown back in, the spring inside the crown is depressed all the way but the stem isn't locking into the date change position and normal position. I have to press it down multiple times, synonymous to the Joker in the dark knight in the blowing the hospital scene, before it engages. Should I get a new stem? Also it's quite hard to screw down the crown it seems like either the threads are messed up or maybe the crown and stem are slightly bent. Would a new crown and stem help or is this a problem with the keyless works again?

I agree with just as good. However there are some issues with stem and crown that should be checked. First remove the case back and slightly loosen the mounting tab screws, too much and rotor won't get out you way for the other screw. Then close your crown all the way and tighten it. Then tighten your mounting srews. Sometimes when you tighten the the mounting screws on your tab, it will cause the movement to rotate a little, thus misalignment on your stem making it difficult to operate. Also with the stem pulled out all the way, look at it from the side and see if it is centered in the case tube. If it is up or down you will have to correct that. Movements cannot have any pressure on the stems at all, they must work freely with no bind of any kind. If that doesn't fix problem, replace you crown and see if that fixes it. Hope this helps, Matt