When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Look What A Bored Noob Can Do To His Old Invicta

tonibari

I bought this 21 jewel Miyota movement Invicta a few years back. The watch has not been keeping good time for over two years, so I decided to sacrifice it for training purposes. Down the line I would like to mod my roli sub rep and my SMP, but I would hate to open one of my new reps and then I can’t put it back together.

So what did I learn, my fingers are way to fat to do most of the things on a watch (I guess that I’m 6’9” with hands as big as plates doesn’t help). I also learned that the Japanes Miyota movements seem to be a little different then the ETA movements. For example I never found the stem release and ended up forcing the stem out.

The importance of the right tools also did not escape me. I currently have few watch maker tools, but I’ll have to get a bezel lifter, a watch hand lifter and a watch back opener.

One of the hardest things was to get the bezel off. In ByTor’s guide how to change the bezel of the Omega he was just able to pull it of with his thumbs, I tried and no go. In the end I jammed the can opener part on my Swiss Army knife to force the bezel off. Now I hope this will only be the case on this old Invicta, because I bent the bezel and it would look somewhat odd.

So the main thing for me from now on, as little modding as possible, and try to stay with some as close as possible reps.

Toni

post-3446-1163288534_thumb.jpg

post-3446-1163288573_thumb.jpg

post-3446-1163288733_thumb.jpg

post-3446-1163288767_thumb.jpg

Hey tonibari, I wanna see what this looks like when you are done! :D

I commend you for trying, you never know unless you try!

-MM

Looking at the number I did on the movment, I think it is save to say that theire is no hope for any futher projects with this watch :wounded1: . Now I might use the dail for some luming pratice down the line, but that will have to wait since my parents are comming into town :yeah: .

Toni

There may very well be an instinctive need to figure out some mysteries. Some will be pulled into uncasing a watch just to see what is inside, regardless of the probability of getting it back together. Getting it back together is important, but not as important as the motivation to first take it apart,,,,,,IMO.