When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1680 Date wheel alignment

panerai153

I took my 1680 out of the watch box yesterday, haven't worn it in a long time. After setting the date and time, i noticed something that probably i knew about before, but either didn't pay attention, or forgot. the date wheel is way right justified. When you have double digit numbers showing, the right number is almost unreadable. It's not noticeable of course with numbers 1-9, but 10-31 are bad!

I tried to go back and find my original post when this one was built, but it's too far back, as my topics only go back to 2010, and this was done in 2009. It's a great watch, MBW case, genuine tropic 127, 2846 movement, a nice insert and pearl genuine crown/tube and a good band (Can't remember if it's genuine), but the clasp is I'm sure. The Zigmeister did a beautiful job on the watch, great vintage relume, and completely overhauled the movement, etc.

My question is is there anything that can be done to correct the date wheel alignment. It has a open 6,9 silver date wheel, which I really like, but either the dial is wrong for the date wheel or the date wheel is not correct. Any suggestions?

Here are a couple of photos that show the date wheel alignment somewhat, but no head on photos with double digit dates.

Here you can see the "14" is too far to the right, the 1 is hardly visible straight on

post-327-0-20730000-1345393643_thumb.jpg

In this second photo, you can see that the single digit "7" is too far to the right as well, not as noticeable, but not correct

post-327-0-47790000-1345393658_thumb.jpg

Hey authur, there are actually a couple of different calender wheels, ( date wheels) for that model. They changed position over the years and became more consistant over the past 20 years. If the zigmeister put it together like that,shame on him. The overlay may have shifted if he used one

Actually, I believe that this is a Eurotimez datewheel. It is not an overlay. i remember searching high and low for one and possibly this is the result. i don't believe the MBW 1680's came with a silver datewheel, of course I could be wrong about that.

What is strange to me is the movement is ETA (2846) and the dial is made for an ETA movement.

I am pretty sure that the watchis using an overlay as the date window looks gen positioned, and there is no way of having a gen pos date with an ETA movement without an overlay

So i would assume your overlay has slipped over the years