When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is there a problem with my movement?...Please help!

justlounging

Hi Rolex Experts,

i wanted to check and ask for your comments on the following:

I got a ETA 2789-1 movement serviced locally and not too long ago..Whilst I was doing some mods on my Snowflake recently, upon removal of the crown, I noticed that there was some dark-looking oil on the stem..

I dismissed it thinking that it was most probably lubricant from the movement and cleaned up the stem..just yesterday being curious, i removed the crown again and noticed that the same dark-looking oil was covering parts of the stem..

Is this normal, especially after the movement has been serviced?

If not, what should I see or not see?

Appreciate your advice..

Thanks! :)

It all depends how much oil and in what condition really

That's the thing..how much oil is much?

I'm not familiar with what I should look out for and therefore am enquiring.. :)

Based on my own observation, the movement runs pretty accurate to the atomic clock and has a decent PR (more than 36hr)..

it winds smoothly, like any proper ETA movement..keyless works works perfectly..every position clicks out solid and back in as well..

That much i can say about the movement..

Personally if you can see the oil with a naked eye generally it is too much. On the stem the oil (d5) normally is brown but it should be spread on the surfaces (that should be oiled) lightly so generally you would not see a brown liquid

well i'm not an experienced modder so i guess what I'm seeing might have been normal to any other watchsmith/modder..the oil is kinda darkish so i guess you mentioned it being brown is accurate..

as for the amount, there is a layer coating the stem...again i wont know if that amount is too much or is normal..

Perhaps I'm overthinking this? :g:

Without knowing who serviced it last or whether they used the correct type/amount of oil I can only tell you that when in doubt, do not do anything. That is, leave the oil where it is & reinstall the stem as-is. To answer your next question (now that I removed the oil, do I need to get it serviced) - no.