When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why in general do gen watch owners hate reps ?

alterego

I drive a nice car and have a nice house, and I am clearly considered well-off in terms of my finances (and it's not an inheritance). I can afford gens, but all my 5 of my watches are reps. Reason is simple, I love watches, and I love the brands. Homages don't work for me. I admire my watches as how you'd admire an ad for the watch.

I never buy reps that have too obvious tells. Things like AR that are too blue, screws that are blue, the wrong markers, or a unreliable movement, are reps that I don't buy.

I am fascinated by watchmaking, but I haven't had the time to start even exploring it. I can stare at the movement of my open-back Pam 111 all day, just watching it tick. One day, I hope I can dissemble a watch myself and assemble it back myself again.

I've never had people call me out on my watches, because people normally assume that they can't be rep based on my lifestlye.

When people do ask me about the price of my watches, I tell them what a gen costs.

And if people ever ask me if the watch is a rep, i'll answer: "what do you think?" with a wink. The way I figure it, if the person can accurately tell me that it's a rep, I can have a good conversation with him/her about watches. Thing is, I've never been asked this question before.

What I won't do is to attend AP get-togethers with AP owners, nor compare watches with a stranger with an authentic Pam. I wish I could, and I wish they'd accept me, but realistically speaking, I know I'd receive disdain and disgust rather than curiosity and friendliness.

It's a lonely hobby, but one that I enjoy, because I can never see myself springing for a gen when I know a good rep is there. E.g. a Pam 111 is not a watch with a horological background that I would be impressed with. Whether it is a nice watch, is a totally different matter. A good patek complication, or a JLC, or an AP (not the commercial ROO trash) would be one that I would buy and invest in, and keep it within the family as a heirloom.

• Like 1

I drive a nice car and have a nice house, and I am clearly considered well-off in terms of my finances (and it's not an inheritance). I can afford gens, but all my 5 of my watches are reps. Reason is simple, I love watches, and I love the brands. Homages don't work for me. I admire my watches as how you'd admire an ad for the watch.

I never buy reps that have too obvious tells. Things like AR that are too blue, screws that are blue, the wrong markers, or a unreliable movement, are reps that I don't buy.

I am fascinated by watchmaking, but I haven't had the time to start even exploring it. I can stare at the movement of my open-back Pam 111 all day, just watching it tick. One day, I hope I can dissemble a watch myself and assemble it back myself again.

I've never had people call me out on my watches, because people normally assume that they can't be rep based on my lifestlye.

When people do ask me about the price of my watches, I tell them what a gen costs.

And if people ever ask me if the watch is a rep, i'll answer: "what do you think?" with a wink. The way I figure it, if the person can accurately tell me that it's a rep, I can have a good conversation with him/her about watches. Thing is, I've never been asked this question before.

What I won't do is to attend AP get-togethers with AP owners, nor compare watches with a stranger with an authentic Pam. I wish I could, and I wish they'd accept me, but realistically speaking, I know I'd receive disdain and disgust rather than curiosity and friendliness.

It's a lonely hobby, but one that I enjoy, because I can never see myself springing for a gen when I know a good rep is there. E.g. a Pam 111 is not a watch with a horological background that I would be impressed with. Whether it is a nice watch, is a totally different matter. A good patek complication, or a JLC, or an AP (not the commercial ROO trash) would be one that I would buy and invest in, and keep it within the family as a heirloom.

It wont be a lonely hobby, lots of fellow enthusiasts here in RWG mate!

So's spanking the monkey, but everyone still does it :lol:

By the way, excellent post, welcome to the forum :good::drinks:

Those who create some or the major, bad reputation of the reps are the con artists. “Unfortunately” our reps are having a high quality finish and a close to the gen look.

At RWG we are buying and selling the reps, we are telling each other that it is a rep. BUT somewhere in the shadow the one swindler is buying a good looking rep and from our factory and sell it as a gen! That is the sad chapter of the rep-hobby. Then honest people are being cheated with a rep. And that victim has some hard feelings to believe that rep-guys are honest! 8-)

8-)

You guys are way over analyzing this. They hate us because we cheat. We get to look as rich as them for 1/10th or 20th the price. I mean, seriously, if you are a middling wage earner and saved for a year or two to buy that Rolex wouldn't you be resentful when the mailboy shows up with a gold Daytona. :bangin:

• Like 1

Exactly.With small adjustment: They hate us because they think we cheat. Unfortunately, in reality the cheaters are the watch companies selling the original watches for unrealistic price.

I think that those gen owners who hate reps are taking themselves too seriously and are defining themselves by "things". We all do it to an extent, but there is a clear line where you are willing to spend thousands of dollars on a product and hate anyone who's not willing to do so.

• Like 1

I think this topic has been discussed and debated to death and at the end of the day, the gen wearers will still wear their gens, and the rep wearers their reps. So as I mentioned, to each his own, and lets judge ourselves if there needs to be any judging at all.

So here is a question for you. If you are someone who owns reps and gens - do you feel better about your reps because you own gens?
Owning gens do not make me feel better about owning the reps, and vice versa.I own reps for a variety of reasons, and my experience with them is not dependent on the gens I own actually.I enjoy both worlds in different ways, and I do not proclaim judgement on rep owners, or gen owners. Its their own business what they choose to wear.Likewise, my choice of watches should be something that is personal.

I drive a nice car and have a nice house, and I am clearly considered well-off in terms of my finances (and it's not an inheritance). I can afford gens, but all my 5 of my watches are reps. Reason is simple, I love watches, and I love the brands.

so u like being decent and can afford gens then why dont you buy any. The reason you buy reps because you love the brand? The brand doesnt love you back for buying the replica. And do you know the difference between what it takes to create a sucessful brand, design from scratch, and to build a copy

and have you ever wondered why would you receive disdain and disgust? if you enjoy reps why do you want to be accepted by watch enthusiasts (gen owners and collectors) anyway?

so u like being decent and can afford gens then why dont you buy any. The reason you buy reps because you love the brand? The brand doesnt love you back for buying the replica.

The brand doesn't love you back for buying the gen either, it just continues to rape your wallet every time you need a service :whistling:

And do you know the difference between what it takes to create a sucessful brand, design from scratch, and to build a copy

Nothing more than marketing presence. There is no functional difference between say a rep manufacturer, and a clone manufacturer like Alpha Watch. There's no real difference to even a gen manufacturer either, other than higher-end components and slicker tooling set ups. Why don't people buy Alpha Watches instead of reps? For the simple reason that the branding is different, and thus is not a replication of the gen (and for those who need the ego boost of the name, cannot provide that...)

and have you ever wondered why would you receive disdain and disgust? if you enjoy reps why do you want to be accepted by watch enthusiasts (gen owners and collectors) anyway?

Who doesn't want to share their hobby with like-minded enthusiasts? A true watch enthusiast will appreciate any nicely made watch, not just a swanky brand name :good::drinks:

So here is a question for you. If you are someone who owns reps and gens - do you feel better about your reps because you own gens?

when wearing "gens" i feel like wearing a nice watch i like, gen or rep doesnt come to my mind, simple, its a nice watch

when i wore reps, i felt like wearing a watch with a nice apperance i got from a huge discount, but something big isnt quite right with the watch, looks like its pretending to be something else. its not complete and accomplished, its not real. then it gets too complicated for a watch and complications better left inside of the watch in movement..

The brand doesn't love you back for buying the gen either, it just continues to rape your wallet every time you need a service :whistling:

Nothing more than marketing presence. There is no functional difference between say a rep manufacturer, and a clone manufacturer like Alpha Watch. There's no real difference to even a gen manufacturer either, other than higher-end components and slicker tooling set ups. Why don't people buy Alpha Watches instead of reps? For the simple reason that the branding is different, and thus is not a replication of the gen (and for those who need the ego boost of the name, cannot provide that...)

Who doesn't want to share their hobby with like-minded enthusiasts? A true watch enthusiast will appreciate any nicely made watch, not just a swanky brand name :good::drinks:

id rather have my wallet raped than having my mind and attitude [censored], like we can see here :)

nothing more than marketing? and wtf is alpha watch :):fool: yeah then why do rep makers rely on popularity of gen brands, instead of creating their own and be succesful? yeah its so simple you should tell them :pimp: Why dont they invent their own reliable complicated movements with top high finishing. if you think most "gen owners" buy the watch to brag about, unfortunately thats case for most "rep owners", most people who buy gens just buy a watch, instead of buying swatch or similar, they buy something better because they can afford, simple as that. thoese who cant afford, buy reps, in most cases. and being obsessed about "replicas" its another thing :)

yeah man its just a swanky brand name to show off, nothing else just a crappy watch with marketing brand on it :) a true watch ethuasist will certainly appreciate the copying skills of rep makers and chinese ETA movt's after having appreciated the quality and finishing of patek, lange or similar calibers. that idea of true watch ethuasist exist only on your mind, and thats why this is a lonely hobby.

and that desperate desire to bring "replicas" to equal level of "gens"..... :) both are just watches and show time dont they? B)