When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1665 White Caseback

vlydog

Here we are, Phong case back :

P8250182.JPGP8250183.JPGP8250184.JPGP8250185.JPGP8250186.JPGP8250187.JPG

To me, one of the big flaws is the problem of padding on the characters. Especially on the word "VALVE".

Still a very good case back, we need to compare it with the Minh's one ;)

Cheers,

R.

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

I am currently have one from Phong on my 1665 but have heard rave reviews about the CB from MQ.

Oh snap, I just past Victoria in my post count!

Maybe you should ask the owner or new owner of the 1665 GW that was sold today ? I will be curious to see it, too

EDIT: I just sent a PM to denimhead to ask if he can put some photos :)

I think you guys can hear sounds only dogs can hear! :)

I have a lowly Yuki caseback on mine.

Love the tiny watchmaker markings on the Phong!

What do the Phong and MQ casebacks cost?

I think the Phong case back is something like $350, maybe more. I had it with the case, so I don't really know ;)

The owner of the 1665 FS with Minh case back said he paid £330 / 520$ for it. Aoutch !!!!!!

That is the best faux vintagizing I've seen. A subtle roughness.

Yes, the Phong work / vintagizing is absolutely awesome on all the case, even if the stamping is not perfect. But I am very anal with this ! ;)

BTW, I found my mid-case and case back better than the majority of the gen cases seen on the market... Too much polishing is killing the entire case :)

Here's a pic of the MQ caseback from when me and denimhead made some research for his super duper franken build:

msg-20731-0-23274200-1332071611.jpg

Nice padding on the characters and the correct "o" (not totally round) in "Rolex patent.." as you can see. Pricey - indeed - but it's the most accurate after market alternative out there IMHO.

Nice padding on the characters and the correct "o" (not totally round) in "Rolex patent.." as you can see. Pricey - indeed - but it's the most accurate after market alternative out there IMHO.

Nice ! Thanks you :)

I think I have to buy a MQ case back...

Anybody wants a Phong case back ? :) :)

I might be in the same boat as you Valty :). It looks like the MQ caseback has an edge over the Phong. Does anyone know anything about the midcase? I was quoted a price of $900 for the case and $450 for the caseback. Does anyone have a midcase to show?

Hey mate :)

After some thinking, I think I will stay with my Phong's back case... Yes, the MQ back case is more accurate (even if it have it's flaws), but I have less "feeling" with it. I overall prefer the Phong's look, even if it's less accurate :)

About the MQ case, I have compared it to the Phong, and finally gone with Phong. What I have to say about the mid-case is this is perfect ! The only problem I had is with the bezel. It was too easy to turn, probably the bezel is a little too large for the case. After gone with a gen bezel / washer (but keeping the Phong retainer ring), the result is absolutely perfect.

I suppose the right combo is Phong mid case, MQ case back, and gen bezel if possible ;)

That would be a killer combo! I am not really happy with my case and was thinking of upgrading. So you bought a gen bezel and it fit the Phong retaining ring? That is good to know. Thanks!!!

It's better than "just fitting", the fitting is just incredible / gen like. Now it turns as it should. Plus the gen bezel makes a HUGE difference. I will take some photos for you if you want, just tell me my friend ;)

Objectively, it's impossible to stay with an aftermarket bezel once you have tried the gen one !

For information, I paid 520€ for NOS bezel with washer ring... Quite a lot of money, but it worth the cost ;)

As promised, here are some photos of my 1665 case with the gen bezel installed. The other bezel is the Phong's one (with rep insert). If anyone wants the Phong bezel + insert, please PM me or it will go on eBay soon...

Not pictured, but the gen bezel is thicker than the rep bezel. Needless to say the gen bezel is a great improvement :) It fits the Phong's retainer ring perfectly. No need of a gen and expensive retainer ring

Cheers !

P9040283.JPGP9040284.JPGP9040285.JPGP9040286.JPGP9040287.JPGP9040288.JPGP9040289.JPG