When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Superlumed, CHS, gen crystal GMT IIc

sneed12

This is my GMT IIc. I've been working on getting this model right essentially since I started doing mods... over the years I've bought maybe a dozen different ones, 2 or 3 to keep and the rest to tear down for parts.

Recently I purchased the new superlumed GMT IIc. I was impressed with the case (rehaut engraving is excellent!) and dial but the hands, as some others have noticed, are quite green. It was no problem for me as I was planning to install the guts from the CHS GMT IIc that came out a while ago. I used the CHS movement and hands (superlumed by Ruprekt), the superlumed dial, and a BK DWO for the build. I painted the bezel with platinum paint, and then it was time to try and figure out how to use a gen crystal with it.

When I tore down the new case I was pleasantly surprised to find that the bezel construction is gen-style, that is, there is a retaining ring that presses down over the crystal and the bezel snaps on to that. Unfortunately, the retaining ring is slightly oversized, meaning that gen parts were difficult to fit--the bezel literally falls off if you install a gen crystal and gasket (I tried). The rep gasket is much thicker and holds the bezel on, but the opening is too large to hold a gen crystal (it falls out) since the rep crystal doesn't have a step at the edge.

After playing with it for a while, I had the idea of turning the rep gasket over (upside down). This seems to have done the trick, although I still worry a tiny bit about the crystal falling out--I will probably take it apart and use some UV glue to make sure it all stays put. So this watch now has a gen Rolex crystal with AR'ed cyclops installed.

Pics:

bezel teardown (sorry, I didn't take the actual bezel assembly itself apart, I'd already painted and glued the insert before remembering to start taking pics)

100_4670.jpg

100_4671.jpg

Gen crystal installed with gen gasket (you can see that it fits, but it WILL NOT hold the bezel retaining ring on, it just falls off b/c the ID is too large)

100_4672.jpg

wonderful black hole effect

100_4673.jpg

Finished product after playing with it

100_4674.jpg

100_4676.jpg

100_4684.jpg

Few shots of the whole box--it's almost done now, all that's left (I think) is to source and install a gen dial in the white explorer II. Both the super-hulk and the GMT IIc now have gen crystals with AR'ed cyclops installed, and if you look you can see the effect even in th

100_4685.jpg

Looks bloody good S ;) is the crystal the same part no as the sub ?

Yeah

With that particular version of CHS mvt. does the date work of the hour hand or the GMT hand??

Off the GMT hand

are you able to get the bezel numbers any thicker, I think that's the only tell left on this, apart from that its perfect

No, unfortunately, this bezel insert is a totally different shape than all of the other rep bezel inserts I have ever seen. It has a really deep "lip" that fits down into the bezel and any rep bezel insert sits way too high in this bezel assembly.

On the other hand, I think that you could replace it with a gen bezel assembly entirely.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I finally got around to changing the crown and tube. The crown that this new superlumed GMT IIc rep comes with is absolutely god-awful. Shape is entirely wrong, it's almost completely flat and the coronet sucks. You can see it very obviously in the first pic of this thread.

Unfortunately, the rep tube will not take a gen-spec crown and I wanted to get the build done so I didn't deal with the crown at the time, but I had time today, so gen-spec tube and WM9 crown are now installed. I cut a slot into the old tube and unscrewed it

CC2CF2E6-FEED-4D96-B63F-1455072C26ED-10034-00000946EF4174BC.jpg

37CA0917-AF2B-45B4-8D9C-F25B108EE081-10034-00000946F4411D4D.jpg

installed the new tube and crown and reassembled the watch. Made a huge difference.

127A4570-868D-494A-B1E0-D2456702DFED-10034-0000094702C030B6.jpg

FAA075B7-E318-495C-9CD0-39D2CF6E2AF5-10034-000009471060FC1B.jpg

B62CED85-9E26-48BD-A161-A18EA9AC01C8-10034-000009470B81E412.jpg

63C4B8B5-475A-4641-9345-F8236683067C-10034-00000946FB6D1088.jpg

How is your bezel? Does it click in firmly, or still has "play" ?

You can mod the spring since it's right out in the open. Clicks firmly with almost no play.