When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Day-Date movement/dial in DJ case?

tabularasa415

So, I'm not a gold person (don't care for yellow, don't see the money for white/platinum when it looks like SS), and I've been thinking of buying a day date movement/dial and putting it in a datejust case. Specifically, an 1556 movement/dial in a 160X case. Can any of our experts chime in as to this working?

--Jer

Hello mate ;)

I think only Phong is making this kind of SS case to accept a 1555/6 caliber. He has sold some of this cases on the bay some time ago, but I'm pretty sure you can ask him about it now !

Be careful, it's a pricey project. Finding a caliber in good conditions is difficult (if you ask me, I have few hundreds of € in pieces & repair for my caliber...)

Finding a nice dial for WG DD is quite a problem, too. The YG dials looks bad IMO in a SS case.

FYI, I have more than 3k€ in my project ! For the same amount, you can go for a gen 1803... without the bracelet :)

Just ask me if you have some questions...

Quick pic :

DSC_2673.jpg

Well, having just done this in stainless steel, it's not that difficult.

photo-11.jpg

It's a 1556 movement and an 1803 white pie-pan dial in a 16000 Datejust case. The case has to go to Phong to be modified and it's not cheap, but he's the only one doing it.

Mine's an aftermarket fluted bezel with a Clark's T-118 crystal and a 24-600 crown. The hands are Clark's also. Like Valty says, these aren't cheap builds!

photo-14.jpg

But I'm enjoying mine!

Only problem with putting a daydate in a datejust case is the size of the case inside. A datejust dial and movement is slightly narrower than the day date. Daydate will not fit into datejust case without mods. Of course you can make anything fit anything. Inside diameter of the case must be opened up to accept the daydate movement. The rehaut also has to be enlarged to show all of the president dial. If you dont, it will cover the very outer edges of the president dial. Good luck

Only problem with putting a daydate in a datejust case is the size of the case inside. A datejust dial and movement is slightly narrower than the day date. Daydate will not fit into datejust case without mods. Of course you can make anything fit anything. Inside diameter of the case must be opened up to accept the daydate movement. The rehaut also has to be enlarged to show all of the president dial. If you dont, it will cover the very outer edges of the president dial. Good luck

That's exactly why I sent my DJ 16000 case to Phong!