When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

American cars, did they ever make a good one?

dieselpower

There's something to be said for small engines and lightweight vehicles. My departed friend and race mechanic built FEROCIOUS racing motorcycles, mine included. But when we went riding in the twisty roads, he made me swear I would not try to keep up with him.

He rode a 400 Super Hawk Honda and he would eat me alive between point-A and point-B. His secret? Never slow down for corners.

post-32-0-72903100-1347388017_thumb.jpg

Having raced some nice light vehicles, I seldom used the breaks. That's just me. I use the engine rpm/engine break more and always try to keep the speed/line. Your friend definitely knew his stuff

American cars are great until you try and go round corners....

Joking aside, I love the late 60's/Early 70's muscle cars. The sound alone is awesome!

True...the muscle cars were not good to turn. But a lot of fun In a straight line. There are some modders that are Installing modern IRS wishbone and the like on these older cars. But many of the MC purist say that these mods take away from the cars originality. I guess I can see there point.

Mike

I'll see your 60's Porsche oversteer and raise you one 60's Shelby-RS/SS Camaro-GTO-Charger understeer.

Face it, they were both dangerous. Newer cars on both sides of the Pond are a whole different category.

blanket statements like the original poster are simply arrogant and uninformed. I am sure that every manufacturer has made great cars and sucky cars. As the owner of a 1965 Mustang convertible I know that it isn't technologically advanced as a 190sl of the same year (its a Falcon for gods sake!) but it appealed to people and I can virtually guarantee that if I park my car next to a new 911 people are going to look past it to get an eyeful of my car.

I don't think that anyone would argue that the British and the Italians make beautiful cars, but remember it took chicken farmer from Texas to make the shapely AC Ace into the car that beat Ferrari at his own game.

We're going to build a car for sure but we can't agree on the engine.

There's no such thing as too much horsepower. It just takes more talent to drive it hard when you're balancing your traction against a brutal power curve.

On the other hand a big heavy engine up front making way too much horsepower AND causing understeer is sometimes not worth the extra effort to drive it hard. What kind of tracks are you using? Tight and twisty? Fast and open? There's your deciding factor.

Freddy Spencer used to ride brutal engines Charlie built for Daytona in the early 80s and on the high banking at nearly 175mph you could hear his engine warbling as he balanced it right on the bleeding edge of horsepower vs. traction. That was the absolute peak of what that chassis was capable of. Aim for that when you choose your engine.

I love the Detomaso! Not as crazy as the Cobra/Ghia, but more refined.

@Befredrickson

How about a nice 260 power plant and build it as a first gen AC Cobra. I would love to get a project like that. Keep the pipes underneath, spoke wheels with knockers(no pun), subtle curves and nice sticky tires. Maybe a tighter gear ratio to keep the motor singing. 4 48IDA Webers(although Dellortos would be more drivable) sucking up air, or heck, maybe even a mechanical fuel injection package on top of the motor just because.

My high school math teacher, Her Hotness, drove a Pantera. To this day I equate naughty blondes and Panteras. Many were the valiant attempts by enthusiastic youth to get into her pants(era).

See how quickly that connection is made?

How about a nice 260 power plant and build it as a first gen AC Cobra

Instead find a HiPo 289 from a GT Mustang. It's already got the 4-bolt mains. Add solid lifters and guides and you can rev it to the moon.

Ask me about Sunbeam Tigers so equipped. ;)

Might not be the best around the corners, but boy is it fast.

Here's a question, why is the ability to go around corners THE measuring stick for a "good car"?

I reject the premise. Everyone has a different idea of what makes a "good car". Here are some ideas:

* Reliability - starts every time

* Excellent mileage

* Blistering straight-line performance

* Svelte bodywork

* Durability

* Carrying capacity

* Versatility

For the motorheads among us, raw performance counts. But there is no objective "ultimate" performance criterion.

I love autocross racing and a Sunbeam Tiger with a hot HiPo 289 and tall gears and heavily tweaked suspension will beat almost anything. But we're talking parking-lot sized tracks where you can drive the whole thing in 2nd gear with a rev limiter.

Switch gears to the Isle of Man, and it's a whole different game. There you want lots of speed, but your low-slung Ferrari is going to trash its underside.

Sebring? LeMans? Sure, trot out the Ferraris. You can still get beat there by a Ford.

Laguna Seca? Better have a nimble chassis with spot-on weight distribution.

Pick your poison... there is no "best" car.

Other than the venerable Land-Rover, that is. ;)http://www.ameinfo.com/27240.html

• Like 1

Here's a question, why is the ability to go around corners THE measuring stick for a "good car"?

I reject the premise. Everyone has a different idea of what makes a "good car". Here are some ideas:

* Reliability - starts every time

* Excellent mileage

* Blistering straight-line performance

* Svelte bodywork

* Durability

* Carrying capacity

* Versatility

For the motorheads among us, raw performance counts. But there is no objective "ultimate" performance criterion.

I love autocross racing and a Sunbeam Tiger with a hot HiPo 289 and tall gears and heavily tweaked suspension will beat almost anything. But we're talking parking-lot sized tracks where you can drive the whole thing in 2nd gear with a rev limiter.

Switch gears to the Isle of Man, and it's a whole different game. There you want lots of speed, but your low-slung Ferrari is going to trash its underside.

Sebring? LeMans? Sure, trot out the Ferraris. You can still get beat there by a Ford.

Laguna Seca? Better have a nimble chassis with spot-on weight distribution.

Pick your poison... there is no "best" car.

Other than the venerable Land-Rover, that is. ;)http://www.ameinfo.com/27240.html

Amen