When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

American cars, did they ever make a good one?

dieselpower

OK. I've got my flak jacket on. A friend of mine is a classic car fan. He thinks American cars are rubbish. This is what he said when I told him that I was going to start this debate. "The Americans have never, ever had an original idea. They pinched everyone else's, especially the British. And when they're really jealous they ruin better ideas!!!

Let me know should you need any examples."

Discuss:

well I don't really want to get involved here but I have been reading some of Jeremy Clarkson's books and he would whole heartedly agree with dieselpowers friend, it's not just a looks thing for him but the whole mechanical package.

Ken

Most all cars have 4 wheels and some sort of propulsion, steering and brakes....you could argue that all they did was copy the current carriages that were in vogue. I'd say Henry Ford was the single biggest innovator as far as taking the fledgeling auto industry and making it mainstream.

Im not a big fan of American cars, never have been, but its hard to argue that some of the old classics dont look good ('65 Chevy Impala, '73 Dodge Challenger). The thing ive never understood about American cars is how such big engines produce so little power. Ive seen massive 7 & 8 Litre engines producing around 300 bhp yet here in europe its pretty normal to see a modified 2 litre turbo with more than 400 bhp. I also think that solid rear axle's and the over use of leaf spring suspension gives American cars a bad rep for handling but i guess you guys have many more straight roads than us.

The thing for me is that a car is not just about getting you from A-B and its not just about how fast it goes round a track. A car should be part of a whole experience to be fully imersed in. If you want to zip around the Italian hills then a Lambo Gallardo cant be beaten, but if you want to cruise along the coast roads of the Western US then a '66 Mustang convertible (in red) might just be perfect.

Toatal and complete bull [censored]. People who actually believe this nonsense are Ignorant,,or they just like to Insult American cars..or Americans In general. We had a period between the mid to late 70's thru the early 2000's

where we did make some poor quailty cars. But If you look throughout history...you will see that the Americans were not the only one's who could make a piece of [censored]. Jeremy Clarkston was asked not to long ago while he and the Top Gear crew were In Vegas. "Why Is It that you hate American cars so much and love to refer to them as rubbish"? His reply. "I like to get a rise out of the yanks". But then he continues to Insult American cars and the folks that build them. [censored] you Jeremy That being said... I happen to like the show and I take his Insults with a grain of salt. BTW Jeremy...dont foget your dental cleaning comes up In two years.

I have never spoken to a true historian who would ever refer to American cars as junk. Was there a period where Americans were not building good cars? yes. But If you honestly think that a country that can send a man to the moon...and this August sent a rover to Mars. If you think that country cant build a good car....ok. Actually American cars are some of the most beautiful cars ever made.

If people would actually do there due dilligence there would be no need for these troll type post. To the OP DP....you knew that you would Insult a large % of the membeship here. Hence the flak jacket. I'll take a guess and bet that your one of those who likes to troll the members here from the US. I mean how would you feel If I or someone else started a thread/topic on..."BRITISH Teeth..or the lack of. Whats up with that [censored]"? But of course I would never start a thread like that because It would only show my Ignorance and lack of class. No matter what a friend might or might not have said about the Brits dental habits.

Some will say...ya ya ya....Americans used to make some good cars years and years ago. But not anymore. OK. I'm not going argue with the haters. Believe whatever It Is you want to believe. Oh and there was that one guy...what was his name...oh ya...Henry Ford...or something like that. :rolleyes:

The fact Is that for many years cars here were made pretty much for straight a way driving....handling wasn't really a part of the engineering process That didn't necessarly make them bad cars....but not much fun to drive unfortunately. But remember many Americans were more concerned with a comfortable long highway/motorway driving than carving up a mountain road. But we can do that now just as good as anyone....thats right...anyone.

Oh ya...another thing. Ferraris are using American(GM) technolgy for there suspensions. MRCT.. Magnetic Ride Control Technology. Good enough for Ferrari....but not quite up to Clarkstons high standards. :rofl: Then he go's out and purchases a GT40. Oh Jermey.....you're such a lovable douchebag. :D

Mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxLCw-S3al4[/media]

A friend of mine is a classic car fan. He thinks American cars are rubbish. This is what he said when I told him that I was going to start this debate. "The Americans have never, ever had an original idea. They pinched everyone else's, especially the British. And when they're really jealous they ruin better ideas!!!

"...especially the Brits" Odd. I don't recall American Auto manufacturers using any Brit ideas. For starters, we put the steering wheel on the correct side. Lucas "electrical systems" that were a step down from a cigarette company lab rat on a hamster wheel certainly weren't "pinched". Brit Leyland cars of the `60s and `70s were epitomized by the Triumph Stag, a car whose engine never learned to be internal combustion. And while Brit sports cars were fun little toys, I owned a TR4a and a Spitfire, it took an American engine placed in an AC Bristol to make the Brit car go. And it went ballistic. Even the iconic and admittedly gorgeous sexy Jaguar was finally made road worthy by American ownership. You can actually drive one almost every day! We will see if it goes 'Tata!'.

As I wrote elsewhere, in the U.S after WW2 Italian cars introduced us to the world's first disposable cars, Japanese cars rusted through by your 4th car payment, German Cars used as taxi cabs in Europe sold here for more than Cadillacs. I didn't mention the Peugeot or the Renault. I'm trying to be nice... :whistling: OK, not so nice.

And then there was the Yugo. This must be what your friend considers a 'classic European Automobile'. The Yugo could singlehandedly take Europe's auto making reputation down 3 notches, minimum. It was rivaled only by the Volga and Lada. When they stopped running and people tried to plant flowers in them, the flowers died.

Why do Yugos have a rear window defroster? So you can keep your hands warm while you're pushing it.

What do you call a Yugo at the top of a hill? A miracle.

What do you call the Yugo owner's manual? The bus timetable.

How can you double the worth of a Yugo? By filling its gasoline tank.

What makes a Yugo go faster? A tow truck.

What is the difference between a Yugo and a golf ball? You can drive a golf ball 300 yards.

Yes, it is quite understandable that your friend would lack respect for American Cars. He only gets to see them from behind... :whistling:

"The Americans have never, ever had an original idea. They pinched everyone else's, especially the British.

The iconic British Series Land-Rovers are direct descendants of the American Willys "Jeep".

Woa woa woa, hold on there! Firstly I would like to apologise for causing any ill feeling. It was not my intention. I thought by the tone of my topic title that it was pretty obvious to all that I had my tongue firmly in my cheek. My mistake. The Brits are famed for their sense of humour and their ability to laugh at themselves. I can now see that this is indeed a rare characteristic and something to be treasured. As to my opinion of American cars? If you read what I said about the '56 Thunderbird you'll see. I think it's best we close the book on this one. I've certainly learned something.