When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Daytona 62xx subdial spacing DW vs. Gen

rolojack

This is to answer the earlier post about the subdial spacing difference between v72 (gen or gen like) and v7750. It's too small to be seen at the first glance for most people, so here is an overlay of the v 72 and the v7750 for everyone to really see what difference there is. The v72 is genuine, the v7750 is Wong's new batch.

Hope that helps !!!

post-43268-0-58517400-1348042326_thumb.j

Re: Akira's comment: The biggest problem with DW's standard 7750 dials, in my opinion, has nothing to do with the actual difference between V72 and A7750 subdial spacings. It's the big gap between the ring of minute markers and the rehaut that makes the subdials look farther out than they already are. Meanwhile, the 'T SWISS T' gets squeezed between the hour totalizer and the 6 o'clock lume dot.

Very interesting. I had 2 identical black dial Daytona's. A Spinmaster 7750 installed DW dial and a Gen. I am not the pickiest guy around on these details but I could see it - clear as day! Maybe it's because I knew it was there. It's like the pearl on a sub,once you know it's slightly off, it begins to consume you where a gen insert is a must upgrade on any sub/SD.

It's the OCD in all of us.

Does anyone have a similar shot with a non-exotic dial? As someone has said,the outer track on an exotic dial might be helping the spacing.

DW produced a small run of decent standard black and white 6263/5 dials for the 7750. Unfortunately, he also made a lot of terrible ones, too.

In his current lineup, I think your best bet are his two albino dials. Both the 'Clapton' and the older one with the red 'Daytona' script are both nice.

Here's my old DW 6263/7750 on the right. Very nice rendering of the ROLEX OYSTER COSMOGRAPH, compared to other aftermarket efforts. You can also see what I mean about the minute marks-to-rehaut gap:

i-ng2BXrc-X3.jpg

make a decent rep 6263 non-exotic A7750 dial?

@ Akira

I appreciate the photo and input but lets face it, that's not a great dial is it.

Of course it isn't.

It's decent though, if you look at the font, printing and price.

The next "decent" dial would be a phong for 4x the price.

So it all comes down to what you find :inverted: decent and what not.

:yu:

Yes Rolo. Old DW dial. I got it from LHOOQ who has a gen dial Franken of the same model...

Edited by Akira

@ Akira. Fair point. And I agree it is decent. So phong makes 7750 dials? I bet they are good but I don't like his prices. I still find it frustrating that rep makers go to all the trouble of replicating, for example, a dial then mis-align batons or minute markers or whatever. Seems so silly.

Ah sorry, Phong doesn't make A7750 dials to my knowledge.

What I meant was, that the next acceptable dial would be a Phong V72 dial.

I don't know any maker of A7750 dials besides DW.

Well, DW new production is way better than the one Akira showed us. Better stay away from sunburst finishes and silver dials : it can never match the gens... Too many variations possible with silver tone, and too hard to recreate the soft texture of the rolex sunburt finishes. Somes have done it before, but it is seldom to see a really convincing example. So black is the way !!! 6238 type dials, and of course PNs. I am having David working on a new design now... The production will be ready in two weeks or so.

Well, DW new production is way better than the one Akira showed us. Better stay away from sunburst finishes and silver dials : it can never match the gens... Too many variations possible with silver tone, and too hard to recreate the soft texture of the rolex sunburt finishes. Somes have done it before, but it is seldom to see a really convincing example. So black is the way !!! 6238 type dials, and of course PNs. I am having David working on a new design now... The production will be ready in two weeks or so.

I believe the dial I've posted is still available from DW. He doesn't have a better 6239 dial.

Also, I've yet to see a better 6263 Big Red dial than DW's old one

It's a V72 though....

ab0729c8.jpgdf432b94.jpg

His new PN's might be a lot better, but all other A7750 dials are still pretty crappy :)

Edited by Akira

I look forward to that. How will we get to see photos of these new dials?

I appreciate the photo and input but lets face it, that's not a great dial is it.

Tough crowd!

Have you looked at the competition? The only other good 7750 dials I've seen are on Honpo Daytonas, and I don't know anyone who has bought one recently. (On the cartel's Sea-Gull Daytonas, the fonts and proportions are all wrong--and there are 72 minutes in one hour!) In my opinion, Akira's is the best standard Daytona dial that's ever been made for a 7750 movement. If you want something better, you'll have to move up to a V72-spec build.

LHOOQ, I know I am slightly obsessing about these dials but if I might explain a mate of mine from way back when is constantly ribbing me about my 7750 'coz he has got a V72 (which I had built and sold to him- he knows nothing about reps). Now, I have beaten him with my watchNY bezel (his is DW) and my crown is NOS tall coronet 703 (his is service replacement), I've got a gen 78350 bracelet (his is gen 7835 but has been cobbled together) so I really would like to be able to trump him with a decent (albeit 7750) dial but it seems like this is an impossibility.Please, please throw me a bone here, he's my oldest dearest friend and if I can't grind his nose in the dirt what the hell am I supposed to do!?! After all, what are friends for?

LHOOQ, I know I am slightly obsessing about these dials but if I might explain a mate of mine from way back when is constantly ribbing me about my 7750 'coz he has got a V72 (which I had built and sold to him- he knows nothing about reps). Now, I have beaten him with my watchNY bezel (his is DW) and my crown is NOS tall coronet 703 (his is service replacement), I've got a gen 78350 bracelet (his is gen 7835 but has been cobbled together) so I really would like to be able to trump him with a decent (albeit 7750) dial but it seems like this is an impossibility.Please, please throw me a bone here, he's my oldest dearest friend and if I can't grind his nose in the dirt what the hell am I supposed to do!?! After all, what are friends for?

Man up!

Cash out the life insurance!

Gen dial V72 Franken!

Edited by Akira

You may think of him as a friend, but I assure you that he's no mate of yours. Ignore everything else about your relationship; when it comes to the Daytona, he is your enemy. And as your enemy, he must be crushed.

Sell your puny 7750 Daytona, and use the proceeds to bolster your V72 war chest. Make no mistake: This will be total war, and the more genuine parts you use, the more complete your victory will be. When you're done, post a picture of his remains and we'll celebrate.

The only other good 7750 dials I've seen are on Honpo Daytonas, and I don't know anyone who has bought one recently.

I would 2nd that. I got the 1 in the middle from Honpo some years ago (by way of a friend) & its subdials are pretty close

012-2_2__tonemapped-1.jpg

Unfortunately, Honpo is notorious for dealing only with Asian customers (often, in person only) & even these are not perfect.

LHOOQ, I know I am slightly obsessing about these dials but if I might explain a mate of mine from way back when is constantly ribbing me about my 7750 'coz he has got a V72 (which I had built and sold to him- he knows nothing about reps).

Unfortunately, you are out of luck. Due to their respective chrono pinion placements, I do not think you will find a 7750 dial that exactly matches the size & location of the subdials on a V72/gen dial. Typically, your choices are a dial with smaller subdials or a dial with subdials (the proper size) that bleed into the outer minute track.