When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watchden.net

ChristopherM

So since they are a trusted dealer what steps do I take since they screwed me over?

We ordered two pieces, only received one and now they are ignoring me?

The usual advice is to send one polite email and allow two weeks for a reply...

Personally, I think that's giving them more leeway than they deserve.

Not really sure what to suggest, but sorry that you've been screwed over, sometimes all you can do is swallow the loss, take it as a lesson and move on :pardon:

• 1 month later...

So, was this resolved?

I was thinking of ordering from WE and I would like to know.

Having never used Western Union before, what happens if you have some problems?

Is there any recourse?

And if a refund is issued, they send it by WU?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am so used to the convenience and security of PayPal

I have had problems with TDs some were resolved and some were never i have purchased from none TDs and have been very happy with the service one trusted dealer after recieving a swiss eta order only to find a asian clone inside sent me a replacement swiss eta on another ocasion a watch that fell apart on arrival after several emails was told no parts are available from the factory appologies. another TD after having recieved a damaged watch, one of there personnel replied i will speak with the vendor other emails were ignored and i never heard anything again and i have purchased other times from them with a very good service, ok i know these things happen and sellers using qc photos to help avoid these issues which is a good idea despite these problems i have continued to purchase from them as these watches are replicas and not a AD purchase

a problem that happens sometimes is a watch arrives with a small issue and it is more cost effective to have the watch repaired or the small part sent by the TD than to return the watch and risk customs issues returning, so i usualy ask the seller to send the parts or ask for a discount on my next order

I really don't have a dog in this fight, because I rarely ever buy a watch new from a dealer. I would much rather buy one from a member on the sales forum, for several reasons, one generally the price is less than new, two the member has already sorted out the problems, or if there are known problems they are disclosed, and last if I purchase watches here in the USA, there are no customs problems, and shipping is generally pretty reasonable.

Having said all this, I believe that some of the problems especially with new members is their expectations are way too high. you are buying a rep of a 5-50 K watch for 150- 400 USD, it's unrealistic to expect the quality of a genuine Rolex Submariner in a 125 dollar copy. Second, they watch factories have absolutely, and I mean absolutely no quality control. The watches are being assembled in dirty warehouse like settings by folks that don't have any training in watchmaking at all. they may have been assembling IPads or waffle irons the week before! movements are bought in bulk, and sit around until cased. they aren't cleaned oiled or regulated. Vintage watches with old movements are worse, they shuck out movements from old watches like your local seafood guy shucks oysters (with about the same regard for cleanliness) These dirty, dry and often broken movements are cased and the finished watch is shipped to a dealer, not an AD, just a dealer, like our TD's here. The dealer has pretty much zero input with the factory, regarding exchanges, repairs, parts, etc. So the dealer gets the watches, he may do a visual inspection to make sure all the pieces are there, some may even go so far as to take the back off and try to regulate the watch, Take photos for you the buyer, wrap it up in a bubble wrap package and send it off. It's not in a nice sturdy box, inside a bigger box filled with packing peanuts like a genuine watch is shipped, it's got the minimum protection that will allow it to be mailed. You receive the watch and right off, it's not quite like the genuine 16610 that your friend owns, plus the end links don't fit very nicely and it's running +5 minutes per day!! You email the dealer, but he's moved on to the next customer, he sends you an email back in a few days telling you the watch was fine when it left his place. Probably he offers to give you a discount on your next order, or maybe he tells you to send the watch back (on your dime of course) for repair. Now you're really mad. you got a watch that didn't meet your elevated unrealistic expectations plus it's not running right. you shoot off a couple of more emails, getting madder by the second. By this time the dealer is not going to return your emails, as he feels like he has made you a reasonable offer which you ignored. Now the ball is in your court, you can suck it up, chalk it up to experience and move on, try to find a watchmaker that will get your watch regulated and at the very least get it running right, you can rant and rave here on the forum ad nauseum which won't do any good but it may make you feel better, or you can do like a lot of noobs seem to be doing lately, contact PayPal and tell them your tale of woe and open a dispute. Bad choice!! Actually both the last two are both bad choices. there is very little the forum mods and members can do to help you with a dealer dispute, unless it's got the appearance of a scam. Opening a paypal dispute will put you in a position where you put the dealer in jeopardy, inconvenience lots and lots of future buyers, including yourself (If you ever decide to buy another rep) and if paypal finds out that the item in question was counterfeit, you not only will not get your money back, but Paypal will probably flag your account for scrutiny on every purchase going forward.

So noobs, read the reviews, read the forum information and after you read about rep watches and feel like you have a good handle on what they are all about, Then decide if they are for you.

• Like 1

paneria153 A factual and well thought out post on the rep experience I would venture it should be pinned or just copy and pasted to new buyers when they start going over the edge on little things.

That being said as you say doing waffle irons last week!LOL This = cheap labor so if we want to keep getting dirty movements put together with spit and glue I gather we can. On the other hand I see a good margin on these bulk bought movements & cheap labor so the factories have room for improvement. If we do not buy then they will improve to gain business if we keep buying sh*t they will give it to us gladly!