When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Next update on first Tudor build...94010

iwc3

I begin to see how much enjoyment it is making these builds. I ordered a 703 case tube, haven't purchased the crown yet.... but couldn't wait though, had to start modding again. By The Way... I am new at these "builds", but I studied watchmaking a long time ago, and I've been working on watches again off and on for the past 10 years. So, I've got a lot of small hand tools and quite a bit of experience. Its not like I just started at the bench. With that said, I am utterly amazed at the skill levels and the vast knowledge possessed by many on this board.

I tried my hand at "shaving the crown guards" last night. For the longest time, I thought the idea was to make them more "pointy". Then after looking at dozens of photos I realized, maybe they are supposed to be "thinner" not pointier. So I made them thinner, maybe too thin. While I was at it, I softened the case.

Then after that, I figured I couldn't wait on the new crown and crown tube, so I tried modding the factory Josh 5513 crown. I'd like to shave off some of the outside end. It looks funny, but I would lose the "signed Rolex". Basically, I shortened it from the watch side, hand filed it down quite a bit, and then put a bevel on the knurls. I had to shorten the stem a hair to allow the crown to screw in tight to the case.

You guys are the experts. Did I shave the CGs a little too much?... or the wrong way?

Next, I'll have to get the springbars drilled.

tudor_1.jpgtudor_2.jpg

Thanks everyone. I suppose you're right about the polishing. Some 40-50 year old wristwatches have been polished everytime they were serviced.

I suppose it would be period correct to put about a dozen or more "watchmaker" service scratches on the inside of the caseback too.

The hands are what came from Josh, but I modded the hour hand. I cut out the mercedes three spikes about halfway from the edge. Then I filed off the stubs to clear the circle.

iwc3

That is a luscious bezel pip. Can you tell me the case you're using and then crown-crown tube? It is a complete package!

Thanks!

MBW 5513 modified case w/ drilled lugs

Gen crown and tube

Gen t19 crystal

Gen service insert

Gen hands and dial

Slow beat ETA

I didn't modify it personally. Bought it off a member who purchased from ubi. Work of art really.