When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Old steel...

Nanuq

Yeah we should have played for gold nuggets. Probably a good thing we didn't though, that takes all the fun out of it.

We cut a pond into a hillside with a Cat so a natural spring filled it, then ran a 1" poly pipe down to the cabin for running water. We were feeling pretty clever, but late in the summer the water started tasting funny so we hiked up to check the pond, and a moose had died and fell in it, he was floating around looking pretty nasty.

Oh, and we had LOTS of these guys around.

bear_bertha_creek.jpg

Hmmmm, now that you mention it, we were in the middle of bear country, 100 miles from the edge of nowhere, IN a salmon infested river all day every day, with our paper bag lunches sitting out on the ground. And it never occurred to us to watch for bears! :shock:

At camp it was another story, I carried a Mossberg 12ga and a .44 Ruger everywhere I went. Fricken bears were everywhere.

:irvine:

Oh it gets better. ;)

Guys on the other dredge (there were two teams of us) got into an old set of tailings in the middle of the river down a ways where someone had a hydraulic "giant" set up 100 years ago and an inefficient riffle box. Those poor saps sent most of their gold out the end of their sluice into the river.

Well Ben and Ben found it, and ate those tailings right up-river into the bank with their dredge. They found so much gold it was just sick. Our poker nights left empty jars of dry roasted peanuts, and Ben-squared would fill those jars with pennyweight nuggets. Then we'd go out and bury them because there was no safe to stuff them in and we were away from our camp all day every day. So we had a map with an "x" for each peanut jar.

By the end of the summer they had over a dozen jars buried, but me and my partner only ("only") came out with about 13oz. apiece. At $1,000/oz that was a good summer's work.

I had to hand-deliver one of those jars to a partner in Montana and it's astounding how much a dry roasted peanut jar full of gold weighs.

Lord that Tudor Big Crown is simply gorgeous! I think I want one ;)

No kidding, Red. I spoke with my local AD watchmaker buddy, he's got a friend that used to buy these all day long for 50 bucks each. Usually the reversing wheels in the 390 movements had died, and he has a drawer full of them.

I said I'd love to take a Big Crown off his hands and just use it manual-wind, and I'd be happy to pay him handsomely for a pretty one (trying really hard not to seem too enthusiastic!!!) so my buddy passed along my offer and the guy sniffed me out. He ran like a cat on carpet and the deal was off. Drat!

Missed it by *that* much.

Amazing stories, and you know how I feel about 1665's. i'm wearing mine, and i'm sure all the other watches in my watchbox are pretty angry, the old 1665 is getting all the wristtime now!! As far as wearing it every day, that's what they were made for. These are all "using" tool watches. they don't like to be left alone in the dark inside a safe!! I would bet that most of the 1665's were purchased by divers and or very active outdoor types that were looking for a rugged watch that would hold up to any type of abuse (short of some of nanug's watch stress tests!).

I would love to have one of the Tudor Big Crowns, I think they are lovely watches.