When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Portuguese Chrono 3714 A7750 Improved

ActionZzZ

Please don't confuse the newbie. It's a fact that ALL secs@6 7750's have early/high failure rates.

Please don't spout off things that aren't true. It's a fact that you don't know what you're talking about.

I've owned a couple of dozen seconds at 6 reps and only had a problem with one of them.

Yes, the movement can potentially have problems, but to insist that ALL of them do is ignorant.

There's just no way around it unless you service them once a year (unrealistic). Secs@6 7750 is a hack, not a clean movement.

The gen movement uses the exact same hack (a plate with transfer gears to move the running seconds) they just do a better job of it.

I love this watch too, and would like to buy a replica too...But it seems too risky...

Plus, i'm unlucky with watches....Even with my Gen Tag Heuer 1887 (but hopefully, there is garantee with it and it's perfect now :D)

• 2 months later...

he gen movement uses the exact same hack (a plate with transfer gears to move the running seconds) they just do a better job of it.

Yes, indeed, but a big difference, the balance wheel on the gen is replaced with a more powerful one, one that is more powerful to pull the train of extra gears. The rep is lacking in that. That is way most rep A7750 sec@ 6 have very low power reserves.

Yes, indeed, but a big difference, the balance wheel on the gen is replaced with a more powerful one, one that is more powerful to pull the train of extra gears. The rep is lacking in that. That is way most rep A7750 sec@ 6 have very low power reserves.

1) That's simply wrong. There's no such thing as a "powerful" balance wheel. The balance wheel does nothing but oscillate back and forth, locking and unlocking the escape wheel. What you mean to say is "more powerful mainspring" and

2) That's also wrong. IWC actually replaces the ETA mainspring and barrel with LESS powerful, not more powerful versions. They rebuild the movement to lower friction throughout, so the reworked IWC movement requires LESS power to operate, not more. Using a less powerful mainspring reduces wear on the gear train.

• Like 1

Ok thanks! Then I misunderstood my watch smith, but the conclusions still is that IWC modified their movement in order to let in run the extra gears much more smooth. The rep has extra gears, but the rest of the movement (mainspring and barrel, jewels, etc) is not extra modified. That is why the reps most often suffer from lower power reserves.

Ok thanks! Then I misunderstood my watch smith, but the conclusions still is that IWC modified their movement in order to let in run the extra gears much more smooth. The rep has extra gears, but the rest of the movement (mainspring and barrel, jewels, etc) is not extra modified. That is why the reps most often suffer from lower power reserves.

Again, no. There's no need to modify the "rest" of the movement. If the transfer plate was fully jeweled, it would be fine.