When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

It has begun... first order placed!

Hotten Todd

So... not much more than a day after registering I have already placed my first order on a rep - an SS Lady DJ from Andrew. What the F, guys, are you trying to ruin me??! :greedy:

Must say I'm already impressed with him! A huge selection of ladies models, and exceptional communication and service. I actually ordered the wrong size, but after the order had been placed I emailed him and asked if I could change it, which was no problem at all. Can't wait to reveive it now! It's going to replace my girlfriends DJ homage from Croton. Already thinking of doing the same as for her Daytona homage from Invicta!

I'm curious to know... if you have bought a rep for someone other, like your partner, do you always inform them that it is infact a rep? My girlfriend wouldn't have the slightest clue If I didn't!

Edited by Hotten Todd

Thanks guys. For the record I wasn't planning on lying, rather "not telling" - "not telling" and "lying" are not the same in my book :-) So it was more a question of, should I tell her out right, or should I tell her if she asks. But I'm sure you're right, why not tell her?

Mike, I'm glad to hear about Andrew. I chose him because of the rave reviews and his enormous selection. I could've gotten a better price at some of the others, but I assume that price and quality go together when it comes to reps as well, and so far he has been great!

My partner is actually quite proud wearing her reps. She likes the fact that you really cant tell if its a gen or not due to the quality of reps nowadays. She is wearing a Rollie vintage 6542 with bakelite bezel now and loves it.

I wouldn't lie to her, those sorts of things have a tendency to come back and haunt you later.Women never forget!!, And later on if she finds out or is called out, even though you didn't exactly tell her it was a rep, she is going to acuse you of lying to her. With women, failure to disclose fully is lying!! I would let her know that it's identical to the real thing, only difference is the movement, which no one will ever see!

A good way to guage a woman's response to watch reps would be to ask her about handbags, Jewelry etc. Would she be comfortable with a really good replica Herme or LV bag, or say rep David Yurman or Cartier Jewelry. If she tells you that "if it's good quality, It's fine with me",OK. On the other hand if she tells you"I wouldn't be caught dead with a fake bag or wear fake jewelry" well son, you got a problem! Notice her use of words too. If it's OK, it will be a "replica" if not it will always be "Fake". If her attitude is the latter, you are wasting your money, because she will never wear it.

Thanks guys. For the record I wasn't planning on lying, rather "not telling" - "not telling" and "lying" are not the same in my book :-) So it was more a question of, should I tell her out right, or should I tell her if she asks. But I'm sure you're right, why not tell her?

Mike, I'm glad to hear about Andrew. I chose him because of the rave reviews and his enormous selection. I could've gotten a better price at some of the others, but I assume that price and quality go together when it comes to reps as well, and so far he has been great!

Sounds good my friend. I would get a few days of some good old appreciation sex before I told her....can't hurt. :D

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, one word goes through my mind right now: WOW!!!!!!! I ordered the watch in question October 4th, it arrived in Sweden yesterday, and I picked it up today!!! Holy sh!t, that's fast!!! I was expecting AT LEAST a two week delivery! Incredible!

As for the watch.... well, dunno what I had expected, but let's just say the QC pics sold it well. I ordered this one: http://www.ttw168.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_13&products_id=1866 (Lady SS DateJust, $238) so it wasn't excatly the cheapest rep out there, but even my totally untrained eye do see some problems: the date cyclop is not perfectly centered above the date window (a little low), the clasp feels a little flimsy and I had expected the signing inside the clasp to be stamped, but in fact it is etched - is that normal?

Anyhoo, I'm not gonna return it. My girlfriend will not notice anyway, and overall I'm quite happy with this first experience of buying a rep online. But I'll probably be more picky the next time, tho.

I do have one question, and it's a toooootal noob one: it has an ETA 2671-2 movement - I know it's an automatic, but does it require manual winding as well? I tried it, but it sounds and feel wrong, so I'm guessing it doesn't, just wanted to be sure.