When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How has your taste/style evolved?

Fletchett

I came to the forums looking for a Rolex GMT of better quality than the 'knockoffs' I had seen. I never liked the 'Pepsi' GMT with the Jubilee bracelet, it looked 'cheap' to me. The 'Retro' from Joshua was my first, a 16710 with the 'Coke' red/black insert and Oyster bracelet, and 'Swiss ETA2836-2. I loved, and still love it. That was a few months before the ceramic became available, and Josh didn't know when it would be offered. I knew the GMT ceramic was the 'ultimate' for me with the 'maxi dial', easier to see with my tired, old eyes, and the insert looked of quality, unlike the metal inserts. The bracelet being solid was, to me, finally a worthy bracelet for a Rolex, and the Glide-Lock clasp, finally, that wasn't stamped steel.

But the GMT ceramic had a green 4th hand, and a bigger, 'fatter' case, and the bracelet had a polished center. Nice, but no cigar.

Then RolexAddict talked to me about the 'Vintage' models, and how none were available with the right dial, besides the case differences. We went on the quest to find a way to get a proper vintage GMT. Found a few, made a few, worked hard to get it right. RA is well known for his 1675 builds, they are gorgeous. I came to this site about the time that freddy333 was building his first Rolex 6542. That was it for me. I built my first, and have improved builds since, and made the insert as best I could.

I now have the 6542, 1675 'Cornino', 16710 and 116710. The 16710 is next on the list to be upgraded using the 16570 case. I will make it to the 'K' specs, with lugs holes, 'Coke' insert, non-etched crystal, solid Oyster bracelet with SEL, but with the Glide-Lock clasp. I love that clasp!

I've bought others. I had a PAM and a DSSD, and sold them off. A Breitling World GMT that was gorgeous, but so complicated I couldn't read the damn thing even with my reading glasses! A Daytona that was very nice, but the same issue reading the small dials. I have a TAG Mercedes SLR only because I have a Mercedes, and a Gold President with an Onyx dial for dress, and a TT Date-Just with Onyx because I like the look. I have a 6204 Submariner that I like quite a bit, and an Omega SMP 2541.80 that I converted to quartz so as to have a grab it and run watch, that I also like a lot.

But it's been months now that I've worn either the 6542 or the 1675 for my daily wearer. The 'Pepsi' and Jubilee combination are my favorites. It's come full around.

• Like 2