When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Maybe I'm missing something

Jasiono

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try winding it.

I unscrewed the crown until it clicked once and turned it clockwise for a good two minutes. From what I read, that's the way to do it right?

You unscrewed the crown till it popped, but didn't pull it out a further position, did you? Did you hear/feel gears winding and a constant, mild resistance, or more of a 'flicking' sound every few rotations of the crown? When the crown releases from the tube, that is the winding position, next pull is date-setting position (even if no date window on the dial, the movement will still have a date wheel, which can be rotated beneath the dial) and the final position is time-setting position. I've never wound a watch for maybe more than 20 twists on the crown, then put it on, and that's always been enough for the watch to run smoothly (I only ever buy 21j Asian movements, never Swiss, and never had issues with them) If you look for tutorials on regulating a movement, you should find a 'how to' guide on how to tweak the timing (probably just needs moving the arm a hair's breadth to the right (will make sense when you're looking at a diagram and tutorial). If you have the necessary tools and a steady hand, it's just the work of a few minutes to tweak the adjustment arm, then replace the caseback, and leave the watch for another period of observation, before deciding if further adjustment is necessary :) The key here, is consistency. While regulating, set the watch to a digital source, and always check it over the same period of observation (an hour, two hours etc) and count the second/minute variances. I forget the minus value, but if you can get it to be running up to +7 seconds over 24 hours, that is within COSC standard (+2 seconds is easily attainable with a 21j movement, +0.2 is possible, with sufficient patience :lol: ) Best of luck :good::drinks:

I'll check the tutorials, thanks. I looked for one earlier and didn't see anything, maybe I was looking in the wrong area.

The QC pics had 0.0 BE.

I ended up winding the watch for two minutes as suggested, and I unscrewed the crown until it popped, and turned it. I heard the gears winding up as you described. I set the watch down and it kept the time overnight, still going.

Now, with these watches with the Asian automatic, must the watch be worn to keep from stopping as well?

You could hook up the watch winder or just keep it on you to followup performance during longer time. Power reserve should at least be good enough to allom you some sleep / rest :)

Another option is to use e.g the Kello app for iPhone which acts more like a timegrapher giving you a deviation per day.

Nice. ^

Thank you guys for the help. I appreciate it.

There's another watch I saw on here, not sure what it was, but it looks pretty darn nice. It's very colorful, and it looked like two of the numbers are in the face itself. The numbers. 12 and 6 were on it, big bubble numbers, not sure if the 3 and 9 were like that as well. That's all I remember.

Now I have to hunt it down.

I'll check the tutorials, thanks. I looked for one earlier and didn't see anything, maybe I was looking in the wrong area.

The QC pics had 0.0 BE.

I ended up winding the watch for two minutes as suggested, and I unscrewed the crown until it popped, and turned it. I heard the gears winding up as you described. I set the watch down and it kept the time overnight, still going.

Now, with these watches with the Asian automatic, must the watch be worn to keep from stopping as well?

Yes (and the same goes for Swiss movements) You should be able to leave the watch on a desk etc for 24-36 hours before it 'runs out' and winds down :) Forget the QC pics, timing results can vary depending on what position the watch is in when the photo is taken. A watch laying on its side with crown pointing up, can show a different time when positioned crown down, or even with 12 o Clock to the top... As long as it keeps accurate time on the wrist, that's really all that matters... And as long as any gain/loss in time is consistent, that's okay, as it means the timing can be adjusted, and it should then consistently gain or lose that amount as adjusted to :good::drinks:

Sounds like a Chopard GXL you're after.

I would post a link but it looks like most of the dealer links are not working. Is this an easy fix?

Yes! That's the one. It's on my list right now.

I knew signing up for this website was a bad idea.

Thanks for clearing that up teejay