When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cleaning dial and crystal from dust

fredfree

10 days ago I opened my TC sub to put a new bezel ring, I had to take the crystal out, do the job and put the watch back toghether.

When it got time to get rid of dust particles accumulated on the dial and the crystal I got mad and could not get rid of them all, I thought I did but

now that the watch is closed I can see some here and there.

Question is : what do I need to take those dust particles out ? a compressed air can ? a particular antistatic fabric ?

Rodico if pressed against the crystal will leave an oily film. Wash the crystal with soap an water and let it dry. Wipe it with a lint free lens cloth and wear gloves from that point forth. Easiest way to get it done. Prior to installing the movement blow out the inside with compressed air(preferably from a camera cleaning can free of chemicals)

be carefull with air from a can. This is most likely so compressed that it is fluid in the can. I you shake the can or hold it downwards while using it this fluid will come out. it will vapourise very quick but will leave a spot afterwards. Use a little blower for camera lenses instead.

used Rodico on the crystal and have seen that it's no good...bought the air pump (not the can, as suggested) and used that and jeez..as always a single spec of dust has been trapped inside,there was nothing when I put the crystal on and then after pressing it down there it is huge and proud on the dial...this is a nerves breaking job to be done. What really makes me nervous is that is always just one spec not 2 not 4...1 !!!