When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

"Overwound" watch - 026k is down!

R0NiN

Now I know you can't technically overwind a watch. But I fully wound my 026k, it ran fine for a bit, and now has suddenly stopped. If I give it a gentle bump it runs for a sec then stops again. Also, if I turn and hold the crown (it's fully wound so only turns a bit), then it runs, if I let go it stops. I just got the watch in July from Andrew, so I'm a bit surprised its already doing this, however, my guess is it needs servicing, just wanted to see if everyone agrees or if there is something I'm missing...

Thanks!

Sounds like dirt in the gear train. Basically everything spins free because the balance swings like it should right? The train only needs tremendous force [you turning the crown at full wind] to get everything moving.... Or maybe the balance' end shake? Something is putting extra drag on the train or balance if you ask me. Have it looked at.

Another Ronin..... Welcome.

You CAN over-wind a manual wind like the 6497 found in most PAM's like yours.  You CANNOT over-wind automatics like the 21J/ETA28xx/7750.

So did you over-wind, you would know if wound it past the STOP.

IF you did not over-wind it, it is possible it is dirt, or a broken pallet jewel perhaps.

HTH,