When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Over egging the cake?

dieselpower

I have just spent a very enjoyable morning bathed in the London sunshine parousing my favourite watch haunts, David Duggan Vintage Rolex, Bond Street etc after laughing at the prices they are attempting to charge for pieces (1970's 5513 circa £10K) I had a thought. Are we over ageing our reps? I was surprised to see what good condition these vintage gens were in, some 1960's and 70's pieces were carrying slight patina but nothing like the ageing that alot of modders are going for in the rep world (myself included) and it has made me re-think how I am going to go forward with my own reps and how battered I actually want them to look. Any thoughts?

I used to love the over-aged and super patina look, but over time my perspective and thoughts began to change. These days, I like my vintage watches to look age appropriate, but well cared for. They don't have to be mint, per se... But I don't want them looking like they've been crushed by Nanuq's Land Rover tire either...

:)

• Like 1

My old friend David Duggan, I have spent many tens of thousands with David and his Northern counterpart Ian Blowers over the years (pre Banking Crash)

I guess my answer to your question is this, there will always be beautiful old pieces that are in excellent condition, these are typically the ones that make a premium for that exact reason, their condition. In my younger days we used to 'distress' pieces of furniture to try and look used/old, to give them Patina which sometimes worked, often not.

I guess one can 'Age' too much and distress over the top in an attempt to make something new be accepted as old, the same goes for cars and many other such things. However, if one was to reduce this ageing, it must make life easier and the piece simply look less batterred? Personal choice I guess!

Best regards

Astonjenks

There is a similar trend with guitars with fender producing the Road worn and relic series of guitars, which are brand new but artificially aged.  If you go to a vintage guitar store, none of the 50 year old guitars are as rough looking as the brand new Fender relics.

post-43572-0-20113500-1354892468_thumb.j

for years, I have said that most of our vintage reps are too "distressed" if you want to see what vintage reps are supposed to look like, go over to the Vintage Rolex forum, and the Vintage Rolex Market. they have lots of photos of watches and watches for sale. I have owned a several Rolex subs and sea dwellers that i wore for years as everyday watches, and I ca nassure you, they were used and abused, and I never had one that looked like some of those here.