When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Question For Pugwash...

Usil

I may be missing something terribly simple here but I have a question on opening web links.

Sometimes when I click on a web link a separate, new window opens. Sometimes it opens and replaces an existing window already displayed. Why one happens and not the other - I have no idea. I want all links I click on to open into a new window. I want this to be able to review side by side or to continue to listen to music or a video from one link or what ever.

Is there a setting I am missing that does this?

Thanks,

Usil

There is no 'open in new window' option if you right click on a desktop web link, only 'open' or 'open in same window'.

If you are clicking on a link that is listed in an open window, then you get the option of opening it in a new window.

My problem remains, how do you set up or insure you always open a new window from clicking on any web link?

Usil

Thanks for trying to help but I do not see this option.

This seems like such a simple need and yet is so frustrating not knowing if opening a web link will open into a new window or blow away an already open window on the screen.

Usil

Edited by Usil

Thanks for trying to help but I do not see this option.

This seems like such a simple need and yet is so frustrating not knowing if opening a web link will open into a new window or blow away an already open window on the screen.

Usil

What language, softwear and brouser are you using, i am on german, xp, ie6, but i have a machine with english ME i can look at for you if you want

Sometimes when I click on a web link a separate, new window opens. Sometimes it opens and replaces an existing window already displayed. Why one happens and not the other - I have no idea. I want all links I click on to open into a new window. I want this to be able to review side by side or to continue to listen to music or a video from one link or what ever.

Is there a setting I am missing that does this?

This is set in the HTML of the page using the "target" setting.

If you want to open a page in a new window, I believe you can set the middle mouse button to do this.

This is set in the HTML of the page using the "target" setting.

If you want to open a page in a new window, I believe you can set the middle mouse button to do this.

And if Usil doesn't have a middle mouse button to set..............?

Usil, the only reason I can think of is maybe the result of how you have saved the URL shortcut to your desktop. This may or may not help you.

From IE if you "File-Save As-Desktop-Save" those shortcut icons will open in their own window.

But if you "File-Send-Shortcut to Desktop" those shortcut icons will open in the same window that you have open.

Well, there is also the option of pressing down a "shift"-button and hoding it down when pressing a link in a browser window. This will open any link in a new window/tab depending on your settings.

For the record; Any links added into a post will open up in a new window.

If I understand Usil's question, it is not a problem of having a link within a window opening up in the same window, it is clicking on a weblink he's saved to his "DESKTOP" that is causing him problems.

And standard Microsoft Mouse Programming indeed doesn't allow programming the scroll button past just how it scrolls.

Usil, finally found your answer for you, works for IE6 but it should be the same for IE7:

Unchecking "Internet Options -> Advanced -> Browsing -> Reuse windows for launching shortcuts" should do what you want. I guess that was lost in the German translation of fxrandy above.

Source:(http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/379554.html)