When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My son's Christmas present...well, at least one of them

cjjoyce1

Last year my son bought a cartel 6263, that was D.O.A.  Strange since it's a hand wind, but dead nonetheless.  So he left it with me to check out before sending it back.  Turned out that somehow during shipment the package took such a hit, the balance got knocked as the roller table pin wasn't engaging the pallet fork.  Or, the movement was never checked before being installed at the factory and the balance was never properly installed.  Simply reseating the balance assembly was all that was needed to fix it, and a week long check proved it was running and keeping time well. 

That's when I got to thinking (which can be a bad thing for me).  My son wasn't happy about the subdial at 6 position and told me about the pin mod to do it, so. . .

I decided to do a build for him.  I know the case isn't the best to start with, but sometimes ya gotta work with what you've got (and I'm not afraid to attack cases with files, drills and grinders either - which proved very necessary on this).

First, I discovered how the cartel solved the problem of the offset pusher as was previously pointed out in a review of the watch.  Since I had a spare gen 703 early style crown and tube which would require re-tapping the case and countersinking, I thought while I was at it, I'd attempt a Clark's pusher swap which would require much of the same.  Boy did that suck, but I did it!  Notice in the pic below, the brass tube on the bottom (top) pusher.  That was the cartel's solution to that pusher to properly engage the movement as well.  It didn't quite fit the Clark pusher though and when i tried to force it on, that litte sucker went zinging off into oblivion.  I had to find a solution, and you know what worked absolutely perfect?  I took the hour wheel from an ETA 2836 and ground off the gear down to the tube!  Here's what it looked like when I first opened it, pre mods.

Daytona012_zps26d76a23.jpg

The "L" shaped bar was easier to finagle on the Clarks and epoxy in place.

The next issue was I bought a NYWatch bezel after reading the DW/Phong/NY comparison.  Great looking and compared to the cartel, hands down must replacement.  Cartel on the left (duh).

Daytona003.jpg

but wait. . .

Daytona006.jpg

Crap.  I didn't know the inside lip dimensions were so different.  So what to do?  Get out the grinder and get at this lip!

Daytona009.jpg

I masked the entire case off in two layers of duct tape for it's rugged protection in case I slipped - which I did a few times without harm.

Thankfully the Tropic 21 fit like a dream on the rehaut and under the NY bezel.

The pin at six mod was easy-squeezy and the DW dial went on after snipping the dial feet and epoxying on new bergeron feet.  Unfortunately, the cartel hands had to go back on as the Seagull hands and V72 hand sizes are vastly different.

The finished product (on my sasquach son's arm)

6263_zps1dc6c36d.jpg

The specs:

Cartel 6263 with ST-19 (venus) handwind

Clarks pushers

Tropic 21

Gen 703 crown and tube

NYWatch bezel

DW's new batch Dial (which is drilled for gen coronets!)

Gen 7835 band

Edited by cjjoyce1

Thanks guys!  You know, in many ways, this was a pretty easy build compared to others I've done considering there are no datewheel overlays to fuss with and dial spacers and canon pinions to swap, etc.  Reworking metal is just time consuming.  BTW, I do have to add that the first dial I started with was an Ingod44 dial because DW wasn't up and running at the time.  All I can say is don't waste your money.  The printing is way off, the paint is extremely fragile, the lume is too and badly applied.  DW's new batch is pretty darn good and the same money.

And Martin, that's a little creepy for my son. ;)   How 'bout "I want a brand new car, champagne, caviar"  That line works a bit better for a guy. :partytime: