When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor sapphire submariner questions

Ephry73

I have a few questions regarding this particular sub. I cannot seem to find a full straight answer.

Do these subs share the 16800 case or the 5513 case? Bezel assemblies? Case backs? Crystal? Bracelet?

I would love to build a nice Tudor Sapphire sub to leave the16800 as a special occasion watch. Well, eventually I would like to have one of each of the Bond submariners, but that's a different topic.

Are there any links or stickies that I have not been able to find?

Are there any Tudor subs with a sapphire crystal? There's later models like the Hydro, Hydronaut, Black Bay and Pelagos- but they're not subs per se- or at least they don't use the name. I think the Tudor subs all have acrylic crystals. The later watches have different names.

The Tudor 79190 is not an anomaly by any means but just another regular Tudor Submariner model that was sold for several years. The case is basically a 5513 with different retaining ring and unidirectional turning bezel and a more modern looking case back.
I say anamoly as it isn't as common as the 79090. I've heard both bi and u I directional for these subs

I had two of them, one early (1994) with matte black dial and a very late example (2000) with blue gloss dial with white gold surrounds, both Tritium. Both had 120 clicks unidirectional bezel. 

Both came on a 9315 folded bracelet with tudor clasp. Super flimsy crap, even for the kind of money the Tudor sub was back then. 

Interestingly the older 79190 had a mineral crystal whereas the newer came with sapphire. According to my Rolex / Tudor AD the crystal material was switched in 1996.

1090_105-975x7851.jpg

Learn something everyday! That 79190 is a good looking watch. I wonder if the case is closer to a 5513 or a 16800. It wouldn't surprise me to see Rolex use a 295-C crystal with the cyclops to the right for the eta datewheel- and then the 16800 bezel assembly...

But the pearl is like a 5513 pearl....