When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Seamaster Pro Chrono

Cavester

Hi Guy's

Got a Seamaster Pro Chrono REP but I can't seem to get the chrono to work. According to the instructions on the site I bought it from (one of the guy's on here) the top button is start and stop and the bottom button is to reset. However if I press the top button it sometimes starts and stops but if I press the bottom button (when stopped as instructions state) it just starts again and doesn't seem to reset, I was expecting all hands to go to 12?

Can someone explain to me if this is correct or whether I have receieved a duffer?

Thanks,

Lee.

Hi Guy's

Got a Seamaster Pro Chrono REP but I can't seem to get the chrono to work. According to the instructions on the site I bought it from (one of the guy's on here) the top button is start and stop and the bottom button is to reset. However if I press the top button it sometimes starts and stops but if I press the bottom button (when stopped as instructions state) it just starts again and doesn't seem to reset, I was expecting all hands to go to 12?

Can someone explain to me if this is correct or whether I have receieved a duffer?

Thanks,

Lee.

Did you wind the movement before using chrono?

Did you wind the movement before using chrono?

Yes, followed the instructions by winding up 15-20 times, set time then tried to use Chrono, stops and starts (most of the time) when I press the top button but just starts normaly again when pressing the bottom one, i.e. it doesn't spin back to 12 like another watch I have with chrono.

L.

Yes, followed the instructions by winding up 15-20 times, set time then tried to use Chrono, stops and starts (most of the time) when I press the top button but just starts normaly again when pressing the bottom one, i.e. it doesn't spin back to 12 like another watch I have with chrono.

L.

It could be a faulty movement, not so rare with asian 7750.

Try to ask your dealer what he suggests you. :)

It could be a faulty movement, not so rare with asian 7750.

Try to ask your dealer what he suggests you. :)

Thanks. I have sent him an email to ask thanks. Delivery was so fast too!... 6 days to UK! Watch looks brilliant as well, only chrono lets it down, knew I should have went with the swiss Planet Ocean :bangin:

L.

That is not nearly enough initial winding on a 7750. Even the Valjoux 7750s can have problems if you use the complications without a decent power reserve built up.

Only followed what I was told by the instructions on the dealers site. 15-20 turns then shake to top up via the autowinding mechanism.

I don't see how not windong it up enough could break it though, I would have thought the opposite if anything!

L.

to reset the chrono, you need to press the top pusher to stop the chrono first, then press the bottom pusher. it will reset to 12.

Yes thats what I thought which is the problem, it doesn't. Pressing the bottom button after stopping it with the top button just starts the large chrono needle ticking away again, as thoughI had pressed the top button, i.e. reset doent work.

L.

I would return it to the seller, or have someone look at it for you.

The problem you describe is not a "break in" issue, my guess is that there is a problem with the pushers or the chrono cam.

Try this,

Press the top pusher until the chrono starts, describe what happens, you should feel a click as the chrono turns on...

Once you confirm that the chrono is running, press it again (once only), and now press the bottom button, what happens?

RG

I would return it to the seller, or have someone look at it for you.

The problem you describe is not a "break in" issue, my guess is that there is a problem with the pushers or the chrono cam.

Try this,

Press the top pusher until the chrono starts, describe what happens, you should feel a click as the chrono turns on...

Once you confirm that the chrono is running, press it again (once only), and now press the bottom button, what happens?

RG

Ok.

1. Chrono is stopped, I press the top button and it starts (the button clicks).

2. I press the top button again and the Chrono stops (the button clicks).

3. I press the bottom button and the chrono starts the same as if I had clicked the top button to just start the chrono again, it does not spin round and reset to 12 as I would expect.

I now have to press the top button numerous times in order to get the chrono to start and stop on demand other wise it pleases itself.

Ok.

1. Chrono is stopped, I press the top button and it starts (the button clicks).

2. I press the top button again and the Chrono stops (the button clicks).

3. I press the bottom button and the chrono starts the same as if I had clicked the top button to just start the chrono again, it does not spin round and reset to 12 as I would expect.

I now have to press the top button numerous times in order to get the chrono to start and stop on demand other wise it pleases itself.

Ok.

It seems as if the Top pusher arm is too short, and not turning the chrono cam the required amount...

On some of these models, I have seen a case clamp glued to the chrono arm to take up the slack from too short a chrono pusher...

There is little you can do, except maybe exchange the watch or have someone look at it for you...

RG

I'm sure he will, he is well recommended on these forums so I am not too worried, I will await a reply from him. Appart from this the watch is absolutly stunning!

L.

ahhh! Got a reply from the dealer saying to send it back for repair but I have justed costed to parcel to go back to China and it is going to be £25, WTF! So I gotta pay another £25 to get a working watch, well hopefully!

What are my other options guy's?

Cheers,

Lee.

ahhh! Got a reply from the dealer saying to send it back for repair but I have justed costed to parcel to go back to China and it is going to be £25, WTF! So I gotta pay another £25 to get a working watch, well hopefully!

Cheers,

Lee.

Ahh - you think in ££s! Where in the UK are you?

Cheers,

Lee.

This is an unfortunate and, I think, under represented part of buying reps, which is I believe normally dealers do not pay return shipping to fix problems... may want to ask if dealer has a watchsmith in your country that you can send it to for work and have dealer pay (or pay you back) for it... might be cheaper and would avoid running customs twice again.

If you can get it looked at and fixed locally, that is your best option...

I am always concerned about watches going back to the seller, as it could get taken by customs, and I think (?) your responsible if it gets confiscated...

Time, money, and risk, I would opt for a local solution, or at least one in the UK, not the far east...

Once I get a watch, I never send it back, no matter what...

RG

Ahh - you think in ££s! Where in the UK are you?

Newcastle.

I also hear what The Zigmeisterzumba and Devedander is saying so I have emailed Andrew to ask if he has a local solution in the UK.

Depends what is wrong with the watch and how much it would cost to get fixed I guess but it's a shame I have paid £130 or so to get a watch and will have to spend another £20-£50 to get a working one.

Anyone know of any watch dealers around that fixes reps?

Cheers,

Lee.

PreciousTime, Homer and Narikaa are UK based dealers... maybe they can fix it for you, for a small fee?

Finepics is usually good at sorting out problems on watches, ask him, and for a small fee I am sure he will fix it (busy lad you know!).

Davey deals mostly with r*l*x but he could be worth an ask too.

In Europe, you could ask Palpatine or RepAustria (I think).

Good luck! :3a:

PreciousTime, Homer and Narikaa are UK based dealers... maybe they can fix it for you, for a small fee?

Finepics is usually good at sorting out problems on watches, ask him, and for a small fee I am sure he will fix it (busy lad you know!).

Davey deals mostly with r*l*x but he could be worth an ask too.

In Europe, you could ask Palpatine or RepAustria (I think).

Good luck! :3a:

Right, I have found out that I can send the watch back via Royal Mail Airmail for about £6-8 so thats ok. I will send it off for replacement tomorrow.

Will they repair it or replace it? The watch is in otherwise perfect order, even the placement of the lume dot thing on the bizel (dunno technical tem sorry) so would probably prefer a fix incase I get a one with oter problems.

L.

Right, after much reading I think I have found the problem!... thanks to the very technical posts by The Zigmeisterzumba, excellent reading by the way, thanks.

The top pusher arm (the one that starts and stops the chrono) now works fine after working the button a few times. I guess the cogs need bedding in so that the chrono starts and stops on command every time.

Now if I stop the chrono and then press the bottom button (the one that supposed to reset the hands) the chrono just starts again, this is where The Zigmeisterzumba's posts come in most helpfull!

The Zigmeisterzumba I have borrowed your pic here to deface I hope you don't mind. :black_eye:

152937-14390.jpg

As I have shown above, when the reset pusher is pressed (Marked as the blue A arrow) to reset the chrono, the end of the pusher identified as number 1 arrow should press on the B piece of metal (sorry dont know name) and force it in the direction of the number 3 arrow. This would then reset the chrono (as I understand it, please someone let me know if this is wrong). However mine is actually not pushing item B in direction of 3 but back in the direction of position 2 which is actually the position of a running chrono movement, hence my chrono does not reset but just start moving again.

My conclusion is thus that the pusher arm is not quite "getting over" the edge on item B in order to push in the the desired direction. It must be just short of being over as it did actually reset correctly on 2 occasions.

Now 2 questions :D

1. Does the above sound correct to those in the know?

2. Is it easily taken care of in any way (I really dont fancy sending the watch back to china if I can help it).

Thanks,

Lee.

Edited by Cavester

Excellent follow up and information, I wish they were all this easy...

Most likely the pusher arm that starts and stops the chrono is defective, or for some reason not pushing the chrono cam enough.

Have you tried pressing on the actual lever and see how it works, vs using the case pushers, does it "click" into each chrono position, i.e. start and stop...

When you press the "top" or left lever in your picture, you should feel nice crisp clicks as the cam switches.

Depending on your experience and skills you may be able to fix it, or get someone locally to fix it, it certainly does not warrant return to China for this problem...

RG