When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone here use Pistonheads?

fraggle42

I started a topic on reps on the Watch forum over there, just asking what people thought of them as I'm curious as to peoples opinion.

Thankfully the majority (only just) seem to be of a "live and let live" opinion, a few have some and like them, but there are a some with the opinion "All rep owners are Don Johnston wannabes who just care about their (the persons) image, what everyone thinks of them and nothing else" and their minds are that closed I'm amazed they don't burst open when they have to remember it's 2013 this year.

I could have a decent conversation if that lot buggered off :)

Never heard of that site, but for the most part, there is a faction of each and every genuine forum that hates reps like the devil hates holy water!! No matter what, where or how the subject comes up, the thread is flamed. the worst of course are the genuine rolex forums.

Interesting story, several years ago, a very well respected and notable person on the Doxa forum on WUS (This fellow is the guru of Vintage Doxa watches, in fact has written the difinitive history of the Doxa Subs as well as a couple of other books on Doxa and the notable owners of Doxa over the years), started a thread on replica watches, mainly with the point that he had owned a few, found that they were very well constructed and great value for the money. He basically said that Rolex was ripping customers off because they were for all intents and purposes selling a 500-1000 USD watch for 5-10 thousand dollars. A ten fold increase in what they were really "Worth". Well, he was flamed, probably not as roundly as he would have been had he not been such a notable authority, but he was flamed just the same. I actually wrote a response, taking his side, and sent him a PM that I also owned replicas, saw no big problem with them, and aslo agreed that Rolex was taking advantage of their "Name recognition" to charge inflated prices for what was essentially a mass produced watch.

Point is if you bring up replicas on a genuine forum, be prepared for the negative response. also, you probably won't get much support, even from those on the forum who may own reps or have no problems with reps. Most will remain silent, lest they be branded as "Replica Lovers"

Pistonheads is a UK forum for motor heads, mainly cars but also bikes. They have minor sections for other topics, including a watch one. It isn't called 'genuine watches', just 'Watches' so I took it as talking about reps was fair game :) Yes, you're definitely right, some people are so fixed in their ways they can't, and don't want too, see any other point of view. It was interesting seeing people's reactions, and it seems that whilst most rep watch topics are closed very quickly, this one has been going on for ages. I like to think because I made great efforts to be very polite and non confrontational (gave up on that with my last couple of posts a couple of days ago as it was just descending into silly arguments) Richard