When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The saga ends... its all done - Submariner 16610

dan_189

Hey guys,

My 16610 Sub is all done :)

Parts list:

- Sean 16610 case

- Genuine MK3 "Swiss made" Z Serial dial

- Genuine hands

- Genuine Rolex 3135

- Genuine crown

- Genuine AR crystal

- Genuine bezel

- Genuine bezel insert

- Genuine 93250 bracelet

- Genuine spring bars

- Genuine 93250 clasp

Lessons learnt:

- Always try to buy a genuine bezel assembly as a SET! I went through 2 bezels until I got a setup that worked

- I tried to use a genuine tube and failed, it doesnt fit without work. I needed to tap the case... Even after that the case needed to be countersunk its difficult and time consuming. The tube the Sean comes with fits a genuine crown, save your time!

Other than that its been... well fun to a point then it got annoying, now im happy with it.

Thanks to all who helped out and gave advice, you know who you are :)

Pics!! 

Thats not my wrist BTW! haha

Cheers!!

post-45913-0-64247700-1358852072_thumb.j

post-45913-0-34846200-1358852094_thumb.j

post-45913-0-12628600-1358852114_thumb.j

post-45913-0-95893800-1358852133_thumb.j

post-45913-0-93813100-1358852375_thumb.j

post-45913-0-52854300-1358852402_thumb.j

Did you keep up with the prices of all the parts? It would be nice to see what one could expect to shell out for a project like this? Just wondering how close all your parts were to the price of a genuine 16610? it is a a beautiful job, and I'm sure will be a source of pride for you.   :thumbsupsmileyanim:

GREAT job Brother!! I know you're proud. Wear it proudly and in good health.,,,itsa Beauty!!!! :clap2:

As for cost.... I'd venture to say within 1.2k of a nice preowned gen is likely a good guess.

But with a build like this I'm certain it wasn't an issue of cost....it's all about the self accomplishment and pride.

Millions can say they own a gen 16610 but how many can honestly say "hey, I built this one myself" ?? :)

GREAT job Brother!! I know you're proud. Wear it proudly and in good health.,,,itsa Beauty!!!! :clap2:

As for cost.... I'd venture to say within 1.2k of a nice preowned gen is likely a good guess.

But with a build like this I'm certain it wasn't an issue of cost....it's all about the self accomplishment and pride.

Millions can say they own a gen 16610 but how many can honestly say "hey, I built this one myself" ?? :)

I only brought this up to get and idea as to what it 's costing. I would have guessed that it would be pretty close to the price of a good used 16610. And don't get me wrong, I appreciate the challenge of gathering parts and coming up with something better. I only have one rep that hasn't undergone extensive mods, and that's a UN Black Surf that I rarely wear.Everything else is modded., several of them are really "Superfrankens" I do know from experience selling modded watches, you seldom ever get even close to what you have invested. There have been some beautiful super modded watches on the sales forum here, over the years,and a fair number of them either sold at a deep discount, or were parted out to recoup as much of the cost as possible. the big problem is we love the ones we got, until we fall in love with the one we ain't got. That's why most of the guys on this and every watch forum are serial "flippers". Because of this terrible disease, we generally have to sell one to buy one, unless you are lucky enough to have deep,deep pockets, then you can just store away the old ones and get new ones.

If it were me, and I'm only speaking for myself, because I have zero modding skills, I would have saved a few more pennies and bought a genuine. Maybe because my role in modding is a minor one, I am a parts gatherer and a check writer, not the guy who is actually putting the watch together, my take on this is different. Even though I fall in love with watches, i fall out of love with some of them just as fast, so I sort of look at the end game when the watch needs to be sold. How much is it going to bring, and how much money am I going to lose in the proscess.

Thanks guys! The total cost is aprox 3.5k or so and yes near a second hand gen price in the US.

Its very different being in Australia though, typical ebay price (within Aus) is around 5.5k and from a second hand store I got quoted 6.5k for a 1992 without papers! Its insane here!

So it was all about the challenge, there were times I wanted to give up and throw in the towel but I made it through!

Dan189 if you ever do another gen 3135 make sure to never ever buy the movement alone! Always buy a TT DJ and scrap the movement and sell off the parts it will break down the cost to a minimum. I paid 2,000 for a DJ sold off all the parts and only ended paying 900.00 for a fresh serviced 3135 :) great watch btw!

Dan189 if you ever do another gen 3135 make sure to never ever buy the movement alone! Always buy a TT DJ and scrap the movement and sell off the parts it will break down the cost to a minimum. I paid 2,000 for a DJ sold off all the parts and only ended paying 900.00 for a fresh serviced 3135 :) great watch btw!

Thanks :) was thinking of doing that but couldnt find one lol but that is a good way to go

If I do another it will be a vintage sub :) with plexi glass or something along those lines

Edited by dan_189

Thanks guys! The total cost is aprox 3.5k or so and yes near a second hand gen price in the US.

Its very different being in Australia though, typical ebay price (within Aus) is around 5.5k and from a second hand store I got quoted 6.5k for a 1992 without papers! Its insane here!

So it was all about the challenge, there were times I wanted to give up and throw in the towel but I made it through!

What you talking about Willis...Plenty of gen Rollies around for 4k both Subs and seadwellers.