When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex ceramic sub from trusty/perfectclones waterproof?

sputim

As far as I now factory reps are never really waterproof only water resistant, am I right? Now is there anybody who added the waterproofing which is offered by perfectclones or trustytime for the additional 50usd and will this enable safe swimming with a rolex sub for example?

Thanks for your inputs

Watch companies changed the terminology from waterproof to water resistant years ago. It was a liability thing, I suppose after a few companies got sued because their "Waterproof" watches really weren't!!

AFA the "waterproofing" services, maybe so, maybe not. the only way to tell for sure if your watch is water resistant is to have someone do a pressure test on it. I never spent any extra money on their extra services.

Checking to make sure the gaskets/O-rings are actually present and greased and the caseback is screwed on tight  will go a long way to making one water resistant, at least for swimming. One big problem with some of the reps is the non gen like construction of the case which doesn't allow a good crystal seal.

Ok thanks for your answer! About florida i'm going there for holidays. So is there any problems with customs or quite easy? and by the way jkay  whats the number of your vintage rolex on your picture? Looks gorgious.

That is a PureTime 1680 with some aftermarket and some genuine Rolex parts .. built by our own famous modders w0lf and JMB

Here's my original thread from almost three years ago --- http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/121417-yes-another-franken-1680-post/

You shouldn't have any problems with customs bringing your watch in. Wear it on your wrist and pack anpother one or two in your carry on. most everyone on the forum travels with several watches and I don't think anyone has ever had a problem thus far. Depending on where you are located, the biggest problem might be getting your watch back into your country after it's been worked on. If you  live in the EU, some countries are very, very strict  and you stand thwe risk of having your watch confiscated by customs.

Let us know where you live, and more specific help can be forthcoming.

You must be planning to stay in Florida for quite a while!! Probably be better to get them from josh while you are in the USA.how about getting them back into Switzerland? Any problems with customs at the airport, or are you flying into another country and crossing the border by train or car? I'm sure if you are going to be in Florida for a while you could contact vac and possibly drop off your watch or mail it to him. Seems like he lives in the Lakeland area if I'm correct. you can shoot him and email andsee what hisschedule looks like. Here is his email from a couple of yearsago, so it may not be correct vac lume  vaclume@gmail.com

Going back to Switzerland shouldn't be a problem, but sending in the watch in a parcel is very very risky. Ok thanks for the information. Vacum testing means just they test wheter the watch is waterproof from factory or not and if not they add the missing gaskets?

Vaccum is a person. It is his forum name. He is a watch technician and a lume artist living in Florida, USA. He accepts simple mechanisms such as ETA 2824 and also complex chronograph movements.

"Vacuum" = no air, like in outer space. It has a different spelling.

Simple test machines for water tightness do not use a vacuum; they use a pressure chamber to try to pressurize the interior of the watch. Place the watch in water, and if no bubbles come out, its good!

Ok I just contacted Vaccum. If I don't get a response I probably add the additional waterproofing service which is available at trusty's for 50usd. So do you think I can swimm and shower without any problems after the waterproofing service for 50usd or is it still not very save?

Ok I just contacted Vaccum. If I don't get a response I probably add the additional waterproofing service which is available at trusty's for 50usd. So do you think I can swimm and shower without any problems after the waterproofing service for 50usd or is it still not very save?

Vaccum is a long-time, trusted watch technician and lume artist. His tests and work are top quality .. my watch is good for 7atm after his work .. that's 210 feet depth.

ONE THING you should know tho .. and please remember this .. the forum's trusted technicians are very very backed up with work. It might take 1 month for him to get to your watch from all the watches he has in his shop!