When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex sub 1680 from trusty

sputim

I intend to buy along with the black ceramic bezel sub 116610 a rolex sub 1680 from trusty time. I found two models that look good to me but I still want to hear the answer of an expert which one of the two models is closer to the original.

model 1: http://www.ttw168.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_103&products_id=562

or

model 2: http://www.ttw168.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_11&products_id=7091

Are they bothe very close only different production year?

I know very little about these watches but the first one appears to have the same crown guard shape and 'bullet head' crown as my red 1680 from Paul at Abay 6 or 8 years ago.

The second one has the famous stubby crown guards.

The first one would need cg shaping and another crown (possibly a crown/tube combo).

The stubby cg watch would need a thinner or recessed crown to make it look better but not many outside this buncha loons :crazy: or genwatch freaks :king: will notice the flaws on either one.

The dials are Ok for 'store bought' dials.

Loons? I represent that remark!

All in all these watches are pretty good but Frankenstien watches have set 'store bought' watches back quite a few steps and they get less respect than they used to.

I have a set of Paul/Abay 5514, SD, and 1680...all with the same cg and crowns as watch number one. Every time I looked at one I would zero in on the cg and crown, the dial flaws etc never bothered me much. I finally reshaped the cg on the 5514 and installed an oem spec case tube and used genuine crown and it looks a lot better. My guess is the top watch is the same mid case as the Paul/Abay watch but with better bezel setups and bracelets with hollow center links and 'through and through' screws (mine had removable links that were solid where the link screw ends should show through).

If you have not already...go back through the rolex section and read the pros and cons of these watches. They have been discussed (and cussed) many times.