When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I fell in love....

Lo'

Minh did not reply to my post enquiring about this particular dial. He also does not list it as available as a "standalone" part. I therefore would opt for the Ingod dial (I want the white Pan Am :) ) and because I have been told that it's the dial that best fits the task. But as of lately I seem to have been running out of luck as Ingod does not have the item I need in stock either... more waiting... :).

You might try NDT. Although not listed separately, they told me the dial is available, but it is expensive (because of 'special paint').

Minh replied in the end: He wants 2300$ for case and dial. :huh: Does not say wether the engraved caseback is included but I guess it is. 

I tried NDT as suggested Freddy; there are some very nice dials for sure although there are no white ones. So far the only rep maker which seems to offer something pointing in the right direction is PT. Of course people with your knowledge and experience will spot the "fake" from a distance but I don't therefore the modded example that Denimhead has contributed today does not look so bad in my eye.

But let's live the dial aside for a while. I have read your contributions to notice that nobody has apparently come up with a viable solution for the case. Is that so particular that it is not possible to reproduce it? I have read of people like RA or TC which re-shape the cases of reps to make it look like gen Submariners. Can't the same thing be done with, say, a rep GMT master's case?

Note the location of the holes:

ROLEX-2011-01-10-03-04_enl.jpg

If you can live with that. that's the cheapest way to go. 

The 1655 Explorer II case can be modified to make a 6542. The lugs must be ground off, and the case thinnied out a lot. It uses the gen style mounting for bezel/crystal. You'd need to buy a coin edge bezel for it to be correct. I'm in the middle of that build now, just trying to find a correct looking aftermarket(cheaper) bezel.  

Minh replied in the end: He wants 2300$ for case and dial. :huh: Does not say wether the engraved caseback is included but I guess it is.

I would never assume anything with these things.

I tried NDT as suggested Freddy; there are some very nice dials for sure although there are no white ones.

Although they do not list it on their website, they do sell the dial separatly. You need to email them & specifically ask about it.

I am not interested in Minh's offer. The watch is too expensive, the different combination of parts is still too expensive. I prefer Freddy's pointer regarding NDT and the possibility of sourcing a white dial from them. If I succeed in doing this finding a 1655 case should not be a big deal. The big problem will be that of finding a modder willing to take on the task. Akira has already told me he's too busy to consider taking more work. I have Pm'd RA two or three times during the last months regarding a 1680 and a 1016 I wanted him to do for me but never got a single reply. Domi gave me an 8-10 weeks timeframe to relume a dial. I have run out of options.

Nah... Back here there are none left; the few which still are able to work with their hands instead of pretending to be COO's of a multinational act all picky and will generally not accept to work on plain-vanilla movements, forget about asking to get a rep assembled/serviced.

• 3 weeks later...