When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hello from all over

SCM

Lets try this again...I tried this about a month ago on tapatalk (there was the first mistake) and when I went to hit send, it all dumped. My feelings were hurt and I gave up.

My name is Shawn and I am from New England. The reason I say hello from all over is because with my job as a pilot I spend a lot of time in hotels which leads to a lot of time on RWG from places all over. In case you are wondering..typically nowhere exciting, for example, I write this from Buffalo NY where it is 15 degrees and snowing.

I joined this site maybe 3 or so years ago and have done a lot of reading and browsing. I have been a watch guy since I was probably 20 years old when I learned to appreciate a particular watch over say a generic timex ironman. Only recently have I decided to get into the discussions more and start adding a few watches to the collection. So far my collection consists of all relatively inexpensive gens in the 350-700 dollar range. I recently decided that id like to get a GMT IIC so figured id do a bit more research on the subject. Like most (some?) I can afford a gen but I simply can not justify putting down that kind of money for a watch at this point in my life. I do not feel that at this stage that a QUALITY rep would give me any less satisfaction than its gen counterpart. I buy a watch because I like it, so I am not as picky as to a true "1 to 1" or some of the tiny details that give a watch away as a rep. I wear a watch for me and me alone. If someone asked me if it was "real", of course its real..its on my wrist, but it is not a rolex etc. My plan is to grow my collection to the point that when my son is out of the house and if I still have a job...that the reps that have stood the test of time in regards to me still enjoying their function and style may be upgraded to a gen. I go back and forth between liking the big traditional pilot style watches with flight calculations on the bezel (called an E6B) that are in the 44-45 MM range to liking a lighter watch with leather strap that falls into the 42mm range.

Lately on my short list of watches I would like are:

Rolex Vintage 1675 pepsi - I would like this one to have special attention and likely be a franken

Rolex Sub

Rolex DSSD (Due to its size, I think I would hardly wear it, it is just too interesting not to own)

Breitling Transocean

Breitling Superocean 44

Omega Planet Ocean Ceramic 42MM

Dont tell my wife....but I will probably buy most of these in the next year or so.

Watches I own-

BK GMT IIC (still in transit)

Citizen Blue Angels titanium

Citizen Calibre 2100

Citizen Eco Drive Stainless Steel Sport

Tissot PRS 200 (wife bought this for me as a gift 10 years ago)

Laco Type B

Automa Poletto

There is one more that I simply cant remember what the heck it is and im not home to even go look.

I am a BIG fan of either the automatic or winding or eco drive watches. Although a battery can last a while, it seems to me like they are just always dead when I go to wear the watch. Lately I have only had a desire to buy automatic, it feels to me as if the watch has a soul, a heartbeat almost. I like the mechanical aspect of it.

Edited by SCM

+1 with the wifey mate  :inverted:  got to the stage now that she just rolls her eyes and let's me get on with it !

Well I would say welcome to the forum but you've been here for a good while so you know what a madhouse your into already, you've some great pieces already and some more in mind for this year, wear them well mate!