When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

a deal that didnt go so well

amanamongmen

Thanks everyone again for all of the input.  i am glad plenty saw it objectively and threw my point of view.     A small refund obviously isnt going to happen but thats fine.    Ask for better pictures :)  lesson learned.   And you can tell how is mood changed quickly and has stayed that way even in his post on this thread.  Obviously this wont be resolved in any way as HIke has stated

Edited by amanamongmen
  • Like 2

Judging by some of the rep transactions that go on these days I think both of you communicated pretty well and just didn't see eye to eye this time on how best to resolve this one.

Some of the communications that happen in other sales are downright awful atm, it's a bit of a minefield. This one at least ye both tried to get your point across and resolve it in PM. Lately in lots of cases buyers will just go straight to paypal dispute and on the flip side often times sellers won't even bother giving a dignified response if there is an issue. As you say put this one down to a learning experience amanamongmen. Stick around, I'm sure you'll have a better experience and some other not so good ones. Hike is a good guy really.

Judging by some of the stuff that happens in rep transactions this situation is pretty minor.

• Like 1

Hi All - new to the forum but no stranger to other watch forums and have bought and sold many watches, too many to count! As a seller I take the view that the buyer has to be happy and that descriptions and pictures don't always tell the full story. One man's near mint is another's good and vice versa. So I always allow the buyer to return for a full refund after short inspection period for any reason, no questions asked. You see a scratch that I missed, no problem. You see a crease in the strap that I didn't, no problem. YOur goldfish doesn't like it, no problem. You get the idea! We go back to square zero. No partial refunds, because coming up with an amount is as subjective as the condition of the watch itself. What is fairer than getting all your money back? Most dealers won't even do that after 2 days! So I believe the seller's offer for a full refund is completely fair and norMal operating procedure and takes subjectivity out of the equation. If the buyer did his diligence on the seller before the purchase and trusted him enough to send him money before getting the watch, then he should have no worries sending it back for a refund. BTW, I do not know the seller nor have I dealt with him, these are just my thoughts. Hopefully both walk away satisfied.....Mark

Guys I penned the following earlier thought better and copy pasted in my word file. (hate to write it again JIC) Most are aware that there is some

bad blood between Hike and me , but you know I think I got it right more so "miagi" got it right. So here it goes, now dig deep don't go with the

gut and look at it from the other side, be objective.Let me prefix by saying Hike is no scamer/get over not in the least and

is a generous and good hearted guy, but something ain't right here.............. and it ain't about this happening it is about our attitude.

Yes they should have been mentioned and as Hike is a very capable photographer I am curious as to his choice of camera angle in the sales thread seems the buyer is to. That being said  you were offered a full refund so take it or live with the imperfections.

miagi- point well taken, something we must guard against.

Extra ,Marty- never should have had to or is it your position to sell  and if there is a defect that evident undisclosed just take it back? Hmm........

daniel- I cannot concur for reason stated above.

Typical sales should include full disclosure in description and pictures.  So in general, the answer is yes if the sales were misrepresented intentionally or accidentally or however then absolutely.  But I would see that as a last option....you have to try to work it out and I think that is what OP tried to do.   It would have to be agreeable to both to make it work.  In this case, seller opted not to and offered full refund.   It can't get any better than that.  

The only thing we have of true value in the forum is our reputation.

"The only thing we have of true value in the forum is our reputation." agreed. :notworthy: 

My point was that they were glaring defects so should have been stated. Hike says WTF how did that happen and offered a full refund,  good enough for me.Just do not send out knowing and if it hits the fan take it back. Read what I said "never should have had to or is it your position to sell  and if there is a defect that evident undisclosed just take it back?" "That evident undisclosed" implies knowledge of said defect, I am sure you do not condone that.

I think Hike is senior and experienced enough to resolve this by himself without any of our intervention.

Between him and the "newbie buyer", they would have enough brains and goodwill to get this resolved.

Else, its between them and the mods.

We can always provide our 2 cents but fact is: none of anything we say would change things. 

Let's leave this alone, this is afterall not a case of two noobs wanting to bash each other's brains out with a rock over a scratched watch :D

Sorry but the fact that the topic went for 4 pages means that many people had an interest, but it is less about hanging either the buyer and seller in this thread out to dry and more about how in general rep transactions are handled and what are the general rep aftersales 'rules' (if any!). Both are good guys case closed, no issue there.

Most sellers live by the 'once it leaves my hands then you own it' rule. No comebacks whatsoever, no responsibility for postal damage etc. For rep sales that is more than enough imho. The trouble is it it becoming pretty obvious that a seller almost needs friggen pics of the watch from all angles and a video showing the watch working at the time of packing to back them up should something happen later. Sign of the times I guess!

• Like 1