When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The End Of An Era - The Jimmy Cg Is No More

Watchmeister

Exactly what the title says. I saw that Jimmy had doubled the price on a CG on EBAY and contacted him. It turns out that he was down to his last couple of pieces. He is not going to do another run. So if there is anything else of this nature that he sells that you have been thinking about you should buy it. He is getting out of this business.

First, thanks Kruzer00, for the excuse for a rant...why can't they or won't they make an accurate crown guard in china is not the question. I've modified my intentional flaw theory. I still think they purposely stop themselves shy of 1:1, but their attitude is, "Get a life, you anal-retentive, cheap ass jackasses. We make these thing close enough to sell thousands of these things a month. The hell if we're going to worry about cg levers or parts of letters or a couple of numbers on a caseback. You want a 1:1 guard, you make it."

The question is this: are there enough no-life. anal-retentive jackasses like us for an enterprising small-businessman w/ access to a CNC shop to generate a tidy profit for themselves making a truly accurate H series guards? I think that answer is yes--especially since the current H series rep guards are more off than the rep guards from the A-F series were.

Can someone please do a run of these? I don't know what Jimmy's per-piece profit margin was, but whatever it is you would make 100X that in three days.

Unfortunately that one on the bay is his last piece. His supplier stopped manufacturing them months ago. I can tell you that at his original price $50-60 there was little to no profit in them as eventually the supplier caught on and kept jacking up his price. Jimmy said he would do a little checking to see if he can find another manufacturer. But don't hold your breath.

How about some enterprising chap finding out where Jimmy makes his crown guards ? The shop will be tooled up for it and happy to continue making money?

First, thanks Kruzer00, for the excuse for a rant...why can't they or won't they make an accurate crown guard in china is not the question. I've modified my intentional flaw theory. I still think they purposely stop themselves shy of 1:1, but their attitude is, "Get a life, you anal-retentive, cheap ass jackasses. We make these thing close enough to sell thousands of these things a month. The hell if we're going to worry about cg levers or parts of letters or a couple of numbers on a caseback. You want a 1:1 guard, you make it."

The question is this: are there enough no-life. anal-retentive jackasses like us for an enterprising small-businessman w/ access to a CNC shop to generate a tidy profit for themselves making a truly accurate H series guards? I think that answer is yes--especially since the current H series rep guards are more off than the rep guards from the A-F series were.

Can someone please do a run of these? I don't know what Jimmy's per-piece profit margin was, but whatever it is you would make 100X that in three days.

Anyone knows exactly what series is JF's CG?

Anyone knows exactly what series is JF's CG?

PAM Base/Marina G & H Series.

Mark (finepics) is organising for a custom production run of these 1:1 CGs at the moment. Also much cheaper that Jimmy's.

I suggest contact him directly for more info.

cheers,

babola

Edited by babola

PAM Base/Marina G & H Series.

cheers,

babola

No, Jimmy's CG's are correct for the 44mm A-F series, auto and handwind. They're not correct for any version G-I series or for the "Pre-A" models. God, it'd be great if finepics' 1:1 G-H guard project comes together. Aside form the "reg -tm" watches, some of the subs, etc they would make a bunch of reps infinitely better!

Morning...

I ordered one of Jimmy's last ones rather spontaneously yesterday in hope of fitting it to a 111h I'm about to order.

I've now realised that it's the wrong type for a 111h and can't really justify a $99 upgrade to my 005 when I have all these other new watches to purchase!

I literally only had confirmation of the purchase from Jimmy this morning so if anyone would like this CG for the $99 I paid please email me ASAP on greenjr@talk21.com and I can probably have Jimmy redirect the delivery to you.

I would also consider a swap for a very high quality dark brown or black 24/24 PAM strap.

Cheers

JG