When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

RG Patek Nautilus on OEM strap (pics)

eunomians

Well it finally arrived.  I previously owned the MBW Nautilus in S/S a few years ago.  It simply didn't get enough wristime so I moved it on.  

Since I've been on a Rosegold binge lately, I decided to pick up this RG Nautilus.  

Overall the watch is very well executed.  My twp big gripes are the terribly soft lug bar screws and the stupidly soft lug bar pins.  Shaving down the lugs to fit the OEM strap with a Dremel was not hard.  It can't be done with a small file.  You really need to use a Dremel.  In my case, I used a thin cutoff disk to gently widdle away at the thickness of the lug insert until it fit into the OEM strap.  Not hard, but patience is key.  A little at a time, as they say.  The big pain was getting the lug bar pins into the strap.  Thye're quite soft and they bend easily.  In order to fit, they need to remain perfectly straight--a veritable pain in the a** that took me a tedious couple of hours grrrrrr.  Anyhow, patience won the game and I eventually got the whole thing together.  The silly lug bar screws are useless and they strip very easily.  I'm going to cut off the threads and glue the screw heads in place at some point.

This is a nice watch.  

The finish is terrific.  

It NEEDS an OEM strap.  The rep strap is garbage.  

The clasp is really well done, too.

The dial is the usual Nautilus style meaning that it does change colors with the angle of the light hitting it.  Pretty neat looking at it as it goes from from dark charcoal to different hues of brownish grey.

The brushed versus shiny finishing on the watch is stunning, too.

img0003vbj.jpg

img0007oq.jpg

img9989d.jpg

img9992u.jpg

img9997e.jpg
  • Like 3

Well it finally arrived.  I previously owned the MBW Nautilus in S/S a few years ago.  It simply didn't get enough wristime so I moved it on.  

Since I've been on a Rosegold binge lately, I decided to pick up this RG Nautilus.  

Overall the watch is very well executed.  My twp big gripes are the terribly soft lug bar screws and the stupidly soft lug bar pins.  Shaving down the lugs to fit the OEM strap with a Dremel was not hard.  It can't be done with a small file.  You really need to use a Dremel.  In my case, I used a thin cutoff disk to gently widdle away at the thickness of the lug insert until it fit into the OEM strap.  Not hard, but patience is key.  A little at a time, as they say.  The big pain was getting the lug bar pins into the strap.  Thye're quite soft and they bend easily.  In order to fit, they need to remain perfectly straight--a veritable pain in the a** that took me a tedious couple of hours grrrrrr.  Anyhow, patience won the game and I eventually got the whole thing together.  The silly lug bar screws are useless and they strip very easily.  I'm going to cut off the threads and glue the screw heads in place at some point.

This is a nice watch.  

The finish is terrific.  

It NEEDS an OEM strap.  The rep strap is garbage.  

The clasp is really well done, too.

The dial is the usual Nautilus style meaning that it does change colors with the angle of the light hitting it.  Pretty neat looking at it as it goes from from dark charcoal to different hues of brownish grey.

The brushed versus shiny finishing on the watch is stunning, too.

Gorgeous! Unfortunately difficult for me to carry this off without having everyone asking me if it is a gen and wondering how I could have afforded it...

• 1 month later...

Thanks gents for the kind words :)

I am wearing this fine specimen today.  It appears to be an interesting lesson in aesthetics, ergonomics and subtlety.  There is something about the size, contours and presentation that makes this watch remarkable. 

It's hard to put into words...  But suffice it to say, I understand why there are devoted fans of the Nautilus.  It is timeless in design and impervious to changing tastes/trends.  A true classic in a fleeting world!