When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken Seadweller Done!

devilseam

This project was a weird one for me, I fell in and out of love with the watch throughout the build and had it for sale for a while before deciding that I actually love it more than any other watch I own or have previously owned.

The turning point was when a TC dial and hand set arrived on my doorstep, the dial blew me away and confirmed that I needed to complete the watch and keep it. Not that the original dial was bad but this is on a whole new level. 

The case is a Superlumed SD case originally from Trevor. In my opinion its better that the SSD and although the crystal is probably better on the SSD on the whole I think the SLSD just pips it. The bracelet is TC's 93160A that is absolutely incredible, by far and away the best rep bracelet I have handled. The datewheel is a TC V2 and the tube and crown are both from the master that is TC.

I decided to add a gen insert and this made a huge difference to the look, you just cant beat a gen insert and its a must for a convincing build. 

The movement was a swiss eta 2836, however it started running really fast, so I bought a new movement from cousins and its now running great

Full specs as follows: 

TC dial and hands

TC V2 DWO

TC tube and crown

TC 93160 Bracelet

NOS Gen Insert

Crown Guards Shaved

I have a gen crown that I wanted to install,but unfortunately it wont fit the TC crown, so im on the look out for a gen tube. I would also like to add a gen clasp and divers extension plus a gen crystal at some point,but at the moment the coffers are empty! 

Anyway here are some pics, 

STH70084_zps12e037e6.jpg

STH70085_zpsb7c7bc36.jpg

STH70086_zpsb37e6273.jpg

STH70087_zpsd6c231aa.jpg

STH70088_zpsc9b246fc.jpg

I am more familiar with 1665s, but what you did looks good to me. :good:

Cheers, Freddy! 

Is that the "ultimate" SD from the cartel or a different version? I have an Ultimate and have been wondering if a TC dial and hand upgrade is worth it.

This is the superlumed version, i think it differs from the ultimate. 

Theres a gen crystal in the rolex forum website. Its pricey but its worth it.

Thanks Tony, I have seen that, its a bit too dear for me at the moment but I will get one soon. 

Very nice! Your list of parts is very impressive. The rehaut is certainly better than the SSD V2- much straighter.

But I do agree with sneed, it's not a franken with only a gen insert.

I'd bet a gen crystal won't fit though and I'm not sure if fitting a gen crown is worth it at this point. But you could use an aftermarket tube from Clarks or WSO and they'll take a gen crown.

On my SSD V2, I just left the rep crown and tube on there since they were pretty good to begin with.

photo-27.jpg

I bought a gen insert and it looked the same as the V2 rep insert and since PBdad had relumed the rep insert, I left it on the watch. Guess it's time to sell the gen insert!

Some rep parts are so good these days, it's incredible- like the TC dial, hands, dwo and bracelet!

Oops, wrong pic- here's the 16660

photo-1.jpg

Edited by alligoat