When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone translate Taobao website?

fraggle42

From a post in the IWC forum I found this website

http://www.taobao.com/

And things like this in it

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=2013.1.0.137.10HV4o&scm=1007.77.0.0&id=18247787864

Now, if that price is in japanese yen, then that watch works out at about £35. I don't know what movement it is in it, but it's got to be worth that for parts alone.

How about a sub for under £17?

ttp://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=2013.1.w6627547065.10.lbsRQY&id=18247439243

I'm convinced the images are from gens, for a starter the rotors on the autos are far too good even for quality reps, but I'm curious what sort of movement their reps have? For that price I'm guessing cheap quarts and the end product is something you wouldn't want to strap to a dog, but i'm still curious :)

I've tried Google and Bing translate, Google works best but doesn't translate anything in the frame below the images.

Looking at accessories, a 5 watch box, looks a really nice wood piece;

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.3.w7437295493.9.Shdrl1&id=8499353554&

£6.80.

Mad.

If those prices are real, makes me realise how EBay is stuffed so full of sellers who seem to make a living from it!

Taobao is a great resource. But difficult to use unless you are lucky enough to have a chinese local credit card and a local Chinese friend to purchase, as the vendors have little or no English capability.

In this way I've sourced a few bargains, as you have shown in the thread. Although not as cheap as you are saying...I think you are right with the decimal there...

Google chrome does translate some mandarin, but it's sketchy at best.

I've been to TaoBao a few times looking for some Bottega Veneta leather goods, I love the leather cross-weave pattern.

Found some very nice stuff in there but have absolutely no idea how to purchase, I feel like a kid locked out of a candy shop.

For now that's exactly what you are. Unfortunately. Either taobao goes international, which is unlikely as it relies on vendors English language skills....or you learn mandarin! Or have a friend that speaks mandarin. Id imagine you could negotiate overseas postage with a vendor, if you can get over the mandarin hurdle. I'm sure many do.

I see there is an English front end (kind of) where if you can find the goods you want, you paste the URL in and it translates some of it. Doesn't help with shipping or communication though.

When I initially thought the prices were in Japanese yen I googled for the exchange rate, 1 Ch yen = £0.01 and my unthinking bit of my brain immediately jumped to "Woohoo, one container load, sell them on EBay! Now how to get it past customs?" :)

Richard

First thing to translate is the currency...

Those ain't YEN, they're YUAN (Chinese Renminbi), symbol ¥:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_yuan

That item is quite expensive for a rep and too cheap for a gen:

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=5180.00&From=CNY&To=GBP

5,180.00 CNY = 548.601 GBP

• Like 1

I speak and write good chinese. What kind of help do you need, specifically please?

Thank you legendkiller, but as I got the wrong currency my get rich quick(ish) scheme is dead before the first hurdle!

As usual :)

Richard

Legendkiller, thanks much for your offer to help.

I'm just curious - could you please go to TaoBao site, read it and tell us how one could pay for items there?

Do they take credit card, PayPal or something else?

It amazes me the lengths people will go to when trying to save a dollar or two.

The 6 watch case listed above is $110 USD plus $30 to $40 shipping.

So what you get is a basic case, no QC, no guarantee of delivery, no after sales service if there is an issue for approx $150

On the other hand you could get this beautiful walnut 8 watch case for $195 delivered with guaranteed delivery, professional QC and after sales service....go figure

bh401fbb1.jpg

Honestly every time someone has a grand plan to get better prices than Bergies they never factor in all the benefits I offer.

Ken

Legendkiller, thanks much for your offer to help.

I'm just curious - could you please go to TaoBao site, read it and tell us how one could pay for items there?

Do they take credit card, PayPal or something else?

Hi Rek001

The site is not easy to navigate, even for chinese reading users. You have to set up an account, to buy and sell, much like eBay. 

I am still figuring out if you could pay via paypal or international credit cards, as opposed to only the local chinese ones.. :D 

So what you get is a basic case, no QC, no guarantee of delivery, no after sales service if there is an issue for approx $150

On the other hand you could get this beautiful walnut 8 watch case for $195 delivered with guaranteed delivery, professional QC and after sales service....go figure

Honestly every time someone has a grand plan to get better prices than Bergies they never factor in all the benefits I offer.

Ken

Err, thanks Ken but if you had read the thread from the beginning you would have realised that I initially thought all the prices were 10 times cheaper.

I.e. that box would have been $15, not $150.

Of course I was wrong, and realising the actual prices I'm now not interested at all.

Richard

bh401fbb1.jpg

Ken

LOL.  Good point Ken.  I  had my share of disappointments from the TaoBao's, DHGate and iOffer trying to get that same one in the picture and only to be surprised that it is a very bad product.  Let me say that 9 out of 10 is a disappointment.  Trying to get it corrected or refund is like waiting for hell to freeze.  

Guys, don't waste your time.  Reach out to Ken to check if he can get the items you are looking for.   BTW - I am not promoting Ken and have not bought anything from him in years.  But Ken has a means to that market and is a pillar in our community....and that means a lot.

Err, thanks Ken but if you had read the thread from the beginning you would have realised that I initially thought all the prices were 10 times cheaper.

I.e. that box would have been $15, not $150.

Of course I was wrong, and realising the actual prices I'm now not interested at all.

Richard

When it is too good to be true...... :)