When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AR coating

rionrlty

This is a fishing expedition to see what kind of demand there is from forum members in CONUS for having watch crystals AR coated.

I'm in Southern California and there are companies here who do various AR coatings on everything from $1.5 million dollar, one foot square saphire radar lenses for the military to eyeglass lenses for optometrists and in materials ranging from polycarbonate to heat tempered glass.  Regrettably he has yet to do any watch crystals.  The process has to be done under extreme heat to get the proper hardness and scratch resistance.  It is almost always done on both sides of the lens. 

I'm told there are two basic types and one has a slightly blue tint, the other a slightly green tint when viewed against a white surface.

The price would be $40 per crystal with a mimimum run of 4-5 units.  They make 3-4 runs a week with a 3 day turn around time not including the time for me to receive and return the crystal at/from my location.  Postage would be minimal but the responsibility of the buyer/owner of the crystal.  This seems to be a much shorter turn around than other AR services I've seen on the forum. 

I'm currently trying to get together enough crystals for a test run to evaluate quality and if your willing to participate I will only charge $20 each just for the test run.  I can contribute 2 of my own so I only need a few more to make the test run. 

Please send me a personal message if interested.  Mike (rionrtly)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Taka did my last one and the turn around was great and AR is awesome. Very slight green tint but the crystal is invisible in all but the worst lighting and i'm super picky about AR.

Got a link to them please, and also costs?