When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

And so it begins: 16520 Franken build

username here

I've owned many gens and have had a few really cool pieces, but I've never owned a genuine daytona.  I've always loved the classic look and I've enjoyed seeing some fantastic frankens here.

So, I just pulled the trigger on a parts package for my daytona build.  I've got a phong case, gen pushers, gen crystal.  I'm on the look-out for a movement and dial.  My case is an "N" serial, and I'm going to build a white dial version: all gen except for the mid-case and movement.  

Wish me luck!

• Like 1

I've owned many gens and have had a few really cool pieces, but I've never owned a genuine daytona.  I've always loved the classic look and I've enjoyed seeing some fantastic frankens here.

So, I just pulled the trigger on a parts package for my daytona build.  I've got a phong case, gen pushers, gen crystal.  I'm on the look-out for a movement and dial.  My case is an "N" serial, and I'm going to build a white dial version: all gen except for the mid-case and movement.  

Wish me luck!

Let the games begin!

Mine says "hello"... :)

IMG_0302.JPG

(very quick photo before I take the time to make a thread here - will come after this f***king El Primero will work correctly)

Good luck with your project !!!

About that - make sure the El Primero you will buy is in fully working conditions. These are a real mess to repair !

Edited by Valty

• 8 months later...

Parts gathered so far. Gen dial and hands, movement conversion parts, gen crystal, gen bezel, gen pushers. Ordered a gen bracelet today. Need a caseback and movement and it's finished!

This has been a long road, but fun gathering parts. My cost on a few parts (dial, hands, movement) was really cheap, so I decided to go with a gen bracelet. Almost done.

Anybody else working on a daytona?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

for those interested: Here's the parts used in my build.

1 NOS zenith cal 400 movement
1 phong case with caseback
1 genuine rolex 16520 bracelet model 78390
1 genuine rolex tube installed in case
1 genuine rolex crystal
1 genuine rolex bezel
1 genuine rolex dial (white tritium)
1 set genuine rolex hands
2 genuine rolex 16520 pushers
1 genuine rolex crown part b24-703-g1
1 part 4030-8600
1 part 4030-8020
1 part 4030-335
1 part 4030-280
1 part B8000A-G1
1 part 4030-220
1 part 4030-8325
1 genuine rolex set movement screws
1 genuine rolex bezel retaining ring
1 genuine rolex crystal retaining ring

Packaged and sent today for assembly.  Should be back to me in 1 week.

Wow I can't wait.

Good luck and God Speed

This is going to be a 4k-5k franken I bet

I wish!  The movement was provided by a member, but genuine, NOS rolex parts seemed to be a little more difficult to find.  Cost got a little out of control, but at a certain point I was just determined to finish.  Honestly, I haven't kept very good track of exactly what was spent, but it wasn't cheap!  But, I have a watch that is virtually 100% genuine in every way.  I will eventually buy a gen mid-case and complete the project.

Call me crazy, but I'm actually planning to begin looking for parts for a black dial version.  

If you have to ask, you really don't want to know ... :)

+1!

Case set= $1350- I will eventually buy a gen mid-case

Gen pushers can be found for $200 per pair 

Gen crystal= $300+ (I got lucky on mine)

Gen crown- easy and cheap

Gen bezel- not easy- not cheap $400++

Gen bracelet- $1200

Gen dial- $600+ 

Gen cal. 400- $1200

Gen conversion parts- this can be tricky.  Many parts- not all absolutely needed.  Plan to spend at least $700 here.  

Mine came out a little under- I bought all of the conversion parts in a lot and I got a great find on the crystal and dial- but this is representative.  It would be much easier to just spend $10k on the gen- but this was interesting and fun to find the parts.