When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Iwc Pilot Chrono Frankenwatch Project

ryaku

Sorry for the messy title :p

I'm planning to create a frankenwatch based on the Iwc Pilot Chrono classic and for now i just have a genuine dial (i found a dial for a doppelchrono but i don't care).

Here i'd like some tips and suggestions from you as my project is still in fieri and nothing has already decided (except of course the dial).

Genuine Watch:

154262-14108.jpg154262-14109.jpg

Genuine dial i own (trust me it's in good condition for the price i paid):

154262-14110.jpg

I thought to purchase the following replica, unfortunately not very accurate, or a second-hand spare case (not easy at all)

154262-14111.jpg

Now...i'm not sure if i want to stay as closest as possible to the original design or if i should change something complying with my taste.

Changes and mods i'd like to do:

different hands and black date window with white font.

As for the black date window i drew inspiration from the new Iwc model:

http://www.jackroad.co.jp/images/iwc06101.jpg

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Please be honest and tell me if you think it's a dumb project and just a waste of time and money.

Thanks for reading and bearing my poor english language :p

Is the case on this one to one? I don't own it but I have bought more than one gen dial which didn't work within the rep. :bangin:

Good question.

I don't know that for a fact but i hope it will fit the replica case.

Dial size should be approximately the same but i don't own either hence i can't be sure of that.

What do you suggest me to do before ordering the new replica? Is there a way to establish that?

Thanks kruzer :)

The doppel is larger than the Fleiger by a few mm.

Thom

154349-14088.jpg

Thom probabily case is larger (cases are different) but dial has the same size.

I'm almost sure of that cause if you look at the diameter of the Spitfire Chrono you'll see size is the same (34mm) that's why i presume this genuine dial could fit the replica case.

Thank you :)

Edited by ryaku

Looking at the gen dial and the rep case, the dial definitely looks like it might be a bit too large. However, since the bulk of the excess is outside of the minute chapter, it should be possible to trim the dial if it is indeed too large to fit. It's always better to have a dial that's slightly too large than too small as it can be trimmed to fit if it's all within reason.

Unfortunately, this is somewhat uncharted territory as it's a dial for a doppel going into a rep Flieger case. Sometimes one just can't say if it will work or not until someone gives it a try ;) But, since I believe both use a 7750 for the base movement, the spacing of it all looks like it's very possible (comparing distance and spacing of subdials to markers, chapter in relation to the rehaut etc). In my opinion, since you have the dial in hand, there's not a lot to lose at this point; just order up the watch, test fit the dial to the case, and if everything jives (or will work with slight work), you can proceed. If not, then you still have a nice Flieger and you can probably flip the dial and break even...

Looking at the gen dial and the rep case, the dial definitely looks like it might be a bit too large. However, since the bulk of the excess is outside of the minute chapter, it should be possible to trim the dial if it is indeed too large to fit. It's always better to have a dial that's slightly too large than too small as it can be trimmed to fit if it's all within reason.

Yep, i guessed the same even though i don't have any idea how i could trim the dial. :huh:

Unfortunately, this is somewhat uncharted territory as it's a dial for a doppel going into a rep Flieger case. Sometimes one just can't say if it will work or not until someone gives it a try ;)

Even better solution would be a dealer could tell me replica dial size and internal case size. :p

In my opinion, since you have the dial in hand, there's not a lot to lose at this point; just order up the watch, test fit the dial to the case, and if everything jives (or will work with slight work), you can proceed. If not, then you still have a nice Flieger and you can probably flip the dial and break even...

Dial's already here but before getting the watch i'll try to ask our dealers to check the dial size in their watch.

Else i'll wait someone else buy the replica (spitfire is much more accurate, get that :D ). :rolleyes:

Thanks Ubi :)

155694-13782.jpg155694-13783.jpg

In the following pics you can see segments (red and yellow) of the same lenght in different models.

Proportions look different.

155694-13784.jpg155694-13785.jpg

155694-13786.jpg155694-13787.jpg

Now looking at these pics and checking with photofiltre it's evident hands position and date window position is slightly different between models. I checked distances from pinions and it's not identical.

Is it possibile with a modified 7750?

If i'm right the dial would be totally useless for the project. :thumbdown:

Unfortunately, I think the only way to put this one to bed is to physically try it. Just don't know if it will work until you know.

One of the reasons why my parts box has accumulated so much stuff... Lots of trial and error. I've learned, however, that some of the items that didn't work out the first time around sometimes work down the road. Just never know when a certain part may come in handy. One of the reasons why I don't throw anything away anymore as well :)

great project

i had same project for long time ago

but my project was difficult, because no rep of this model exist on this time

genuine dial, genuine decorated valjoux 7750

but wrong case, wrong subdials, wrong caseback, wrong sub hands, etc. etc. etc.

REPEAT: but on this time was very difficult to start this project, because no rep of this model

look here:

Edited by tourbillon1801