When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My first real moment of "Yea, I have arrived at being just like other guys on this forum!"

jpz5142

So, I thought that my afternoon needed a bit of complexity added to it...

I got out my 42mm Noob Exp II and opened the caseback and decided to try my go at uncasing the movement, I read the tips on the forum on the proper way to remove the stem with out screwing things up and I was sucessful!  I wanted to make sure I did it corrrectly so I re-inserted the stem and no problems, I removed the stem without f@*king up the keyless works!!!  So I went about removing the movement form the case to remove an annoying piece of lint and to properly line-up the dial with the rehaut engraving, then I put it all back and tightened the movement and put the stem back and sucess, it all still worked!  I was having a reall sense of accomplishment!  Feeling the swell in my chest and a sudden swagger in my step I remembered that the 24 hour hand was a bit off so I wanted to see if I could fix that since the caseback was off still, so I removed the stem again and procedded to re-check myself by re-inserting the stem to see if I had screwed the keyless works up......... 

Yup, I apparently pressed too hard on the release for the stem so I have screwed up the keyless works...

I have searched and found the appropriate tutorial on how to fix this and I am thinking about doing this however I have a question first.  As this seems to be best done with the hands and dial removed, but when I hacked the movement to remove the stem but it started to run again when I removed the stem.  So the seconds hand is running, do I need to wait until the power reserve is out and the movement is not running to safely remove the seconds hand?

Thanks

Actually if the mvt is running again, then the stem has been pulled from the time setting position.

Try to re-insert the stem into the mvt.....perhaps gently turning while inserting.

You may just get lucky and realign the keyless without having to pull the hands, dial and date wheel :)

• Like 1

I tried that, I can see that some of the gears are turning however I can actually see that the release button is stuck down and is not popping up. I can look at it again after dinner but I'm not wanting to force it and that is what it feels like if I push any harder...

If the stem lock is stuck down, you have no choice but to remove the dial/hands. Once the dial is removed & you have a looksee at how the keyless works operates, the problem should be obvious. In most cases, you simply have to realign the parts that popped out of position.
Good luck.

Freddys right.

If you can see that then it's time to dive in.

Many tutorials out there.

This is the one that put everything into perspective for me. :)

I took it all out and started from scratch and it really helped me to grasp the assembly alot better.

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=4315

Good luck and keep us posted.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, got the tool kit from Offshore and had some time this morning to look at the keyless works. I took it apart and put it back together, twice... The first time I did not pay close enough attention and didn't get the clutch lever into the clutch. Second time I got it and the watch is back together running, got the hands back on and date is changing at 3 minutes after midnight, not bad for first time watch "repair". Now my problem is that the manual wind is not working, everything else is so for now I'm happy to be able to wear this watch after a few weeks of it being out of rotation. Any ideas on what I did? I figure I'll just need to redo the keyless works again but if experts have pointers on what I missed I'd appreciate it. Thanks RWG!!!

post-37023-0-09213700-1367597660_thumb.j

@jpz5142 :notworthy:

Big props to you! Whoever I pooch the keyless on my watch I just smash it with a hammer, usually squashing one thumb or the other too.

It's less painful than me attempting what you've accomplished. Nice work!