When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is the "ceramic" P.O bezel really ceramic?

fitmic

Yes not good, I was surprised at the fading.  I asked ianm what happened and he said some polishing abrasive got on it which he mistakenly tried to wipe off. He expected some fading but didn't expect the results shown. Moral of the story is even though some fading was expected they seem to be much less durable than the paint on the aluminium bezels and won't take much abuse. I wonder if it is just bad paint or is it the down to the way it's bonding to the matte ceramic inserts? It doesn't seem to work on the black as well as on the orange/blue. Will try and push a few dealers to sort it out, I would expect better out of a $300+ rep tbh.

Who is ianm and why was there polish on the bezel? That story sounds like BS. Somebody tied to polish it! This does not happen when wiping off abrasive.

Who is ianm and why was there polish on the bezel? That story sounds like BS. Somebody tied to polish it! This does not happen when wiping off abrasive.

He's the guy who took the pics. It was a sale, with a replacement insert for the one above. He said he was cleaning a mark on the watch polished parts (lugs), with cape cod or similar, after he noticed some fading on some of the numbers, which he wiped and they came off more, he then tried to clean it and it was uneven, so he evened it up. I don't know for sure how hard he went at it. I think I'll ask a dealer for a replacement insert to see just how durable these numbers are.

with cape cod or similar, after he noticed some fading on some of the numbers, which he wiped and they came off more, he then tried to clean it and it was uneven, so he evened it up. I don't know for sure how hard he went at it. I think I'll ask a dealer for a replacement insert to see just how durable these numbers are.

That sounds like the culprit mate, Cape cod can take Ar off too can't it?  That sounds like a bloody good idea with the insert, I keep seeing different pics of the bezel around the forums, some seem gen like in that they look grey and 'sealed' if that's the right adjective! Whilst some appear to be black and have a very dry texture/look to them, would be good to see if we could source a couple from td's to compare the finish too, I'll gladly chip in for one if we need to, I'm desperate to order one of these  :inverted:

Yep cape cod has abrasive polishing particles and no doubt would do damage, but it takes a fair bit of elbow grease to remove AR with it, or to remove paint from an alum bezel with it....you kinda have to want to remove it....so really still left wondering how much abuse these inserts can take. We'll have to get a doner insert and throw the kitchen sink at it :) see how much abuse it can take.

• Like 1