When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is the "ceramic" P.O bezel really ceramic?

fitmic

From what I can gather the inserts are ceramic, at least they look ceramic ie quite thick but hey who knows. Seems to be an issue with the paint they have used to coat them though as it is rubbing off very quickly........... :g: let's see if  anyone can post some pics of the inserts they have with the fading   :inverted:  

Just discussing this via pm with a very knowledgeable member and although the insert appears to be ceramic it must have a painted surface otherwise it would not fade or scratch like it is, ssteel you don't remember where you saw the cracked inserts by any chance do you?

We need some pics of these either damaged or faded scratched etc to make an informed opinion tbh, I for one have not had the pleasure of owning one as yet.......but it's on my list  :inverted:  PICS ANYONE     :play_ball:  

Sounds about right mate   :g: I bet the ceramic inserts are quite a bit to produce without the added expense of breakages down the assembly line too, would make sense plastic/aluminium mix as Ali on it's own would be expensive to make too with the thickness they are using on the PO, thanks for letting us know  :)  

I don't know if they are ceramic or not, have to get someone to test, they certainly look ceramic but that proves nothing unfortuately. They are substantially thicker than any alum bezel I've seen though.  The paint fading is another issue, has happened to some, but from what I can see it's mostly around the pearl area, where they may have been poking it with a stick to straighten the pearl. :) It looks like they used Ceramic on the blacks and alu or steel on the other colours?

I don't know why ceramic has become an issue, it's not that rare on reps, hublots etc...definitely possible they cut corners, but until we have a materials test it's all just hearsay. ???

Sunnys CPO:

WP_000402800x600_zps9331b302.jpg

DMS also did a matte finish on his pumpkin:

79455726.jpg

82339989.jpg

the genuine new version orange bezel is steel, just like its earlier version. its the black ones which are ceramic on gen, and liquid metal on the blue Ti version i believe. there was definately a thread on another forum stateing the rep black ceramic bezel inserts paint had rubbed off...and one pic that picked up a scratch...quite a few started to question if it was actually ceramic due to the scratch...

however, over on the gen forum WUS i found a thread on google where the OP had tried to remove a scratch on the bezel edge of his ceramic smp 300m with a scotchbrite pad and ended up smudgeing/scratching/removeing the 30 marker on his gen ceramic bezel...

anyway heres a stolen pic (i do apologise...) of a rubbed/smudged triangle off a rep insert...the thread is on another rep forum and the gen 300m ceramic with apparently same issue...

tu6ezaqu.jpg

868522d1352169437-help-seamaster-ceramic

Is this about paint rubbing off? Paint is going to rub off whether the material is ceramic or meat loaf. People keep talking about scratches on the "ceramic" but how about some photos to back up the rumors?

Can a pin scratch it? If not, it's not plastic or aluminum.

heres a pic of a scratch on gen CrPO bezel... occurs on gen too, but yes if its ceramic topped with paint id imagine its the paint thats rubbing/marking...such as the AR coating on crystals, often its the coating that scratches and not the crystal itself.

scratch just below the 5 in 50...

553172d1320855759-liquidmetal-scratchpro

Ridiculous...

I never could figure out why in earth watch manufacturers would take an unscratchable sapphire and coat it with a fragile AR coating on top?.... Ad a scratch resistant ceramic bezel with a silly paint coating and you are better of placing the watch in a cabinet instead of wearing it.

Ridiculous...

I never could figure out why in earth watch manufacturers would take an unscratchable sapphire and coat it with a fragile AR coating on top?.... Ad a scratch resistant ceramic bezel with a silly paint coating and you are better of placing the watch in a cabinet instead of wearing it.

I don't get it, RM .. I'm looking at my ceramic PO 42mm right now, and I could swear it's bare ceramic with no paint ... I dunno what's going on here ...

Jk it is bare only the numbers are painted and the gen will wear as well with constant rubbing. Relax guys and enjoy to the max.

Good on ya Indy, glad to hear yours was fine mate :inverted: Gotta say though that I don't agree with the Ceramic being painted numbers on the Black Gen, can't make up my mind on the Orange though but that looks Very Matt compared to the older Aluminium insert type, tbh I haven't had the rep yet but from the pics I've seen the insert paint looks 'very dry' if that makes sense? I think if you can the mod that DMS has done on his Orange bezel would be the way to go, that way the paint is not getting rubbed at all, the clear coat would be taking the wear, in saying all that not exactly sure how many folks are having this issue anyway :g: I'll post some comparison pics asap