When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bakelite for gen 6542

ghost

Holy crap. Every time I see that I fall over.

Ghost, see the granularity in the fill of the engraved numerals? JoeyB even caught that detail right. This is the ne plus ultra of inserts.

For full disclosure, this insert was an early test sample & differs in some details from later versions. That said, the current run is still miles ahead of anything else & absolutely acceptable. Any criticisms of them are extremely minor, visible only when viewed via a loupe or at macro distances & in direct comparison to this 1. However, JoeyB is working to replicate this 1 & I am sure he will comment here as well.

A friend of mine has a 6542 gen and he wants to use an aftermarket Bakelite bezel.

Am I right to recommend joeyb's? It's the best in the market no? And gen spec?

Oh yes, you are absolutely and completely right to recommend JoeyB's insert. Just the honor and privilege of being in his presence is great, but having an actual part of your watch that he touched with his own fingers on your wrist should be overwhelming! To know him is to love him...   :bad: 

It is the insert only, not the bezel. The original genuine was made using acrylic plastic, the brand name 'Perspex'. 'Bakelite' was another brand name of acrylic plastic, as was 'Plexi-Glass' and a few others all having similar formulas, but not exactly the same.

The old acrylic dries out, gets brittle and cracks pretty quick, the current is much better. But Lexan is the stuff they make outdoor signs from, and the bullet-proof canopy on fighter jets. Each one is hand made individually so there can be a slight variance between them. They are made to gen spec, can be installed as shipped, though I like to fit it to my insert. 

I got your PM, we'll work out the details. 

Thank you guys.