When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why Not Make The Watch Waterproof.

daunwaun

I just dont get why the dealers here wouldnt make the watch waterproof. I bought a day date from george at watchmaker9 and was glad to pay what i paid mainly because i knew i was getting what i paid for. Everything is perfect and its waterproof. i have been into three different AD's as i own a few genuine rolexs and everytime they where so impressed with the quality and worksmanship. I have nothing against the dealers here and if they offered their watches to be waterproof i would gladly pay more and buy a few of them.

Just a thought....make them waterproof.

D

post-3804-1164488738_thumb.jpg

post-3804-1164488851_thumb.jpg

Well first of all MOST delaers do not make the watches, have anything to do with making the watches or even stock the watches... they simply act as middle men and the watches are drop shipped.

So then the question is why don't the manufacturers make them waterproof, and of course the answer is money. Same reason they don't use good lume or make good bands.

A few people may be willing to pay extra for these higher quality features but the MASS majority of fake watches are not sold to people like us picking them apart on message boards. The market for these watches will have no way of checking if they are waterproof or not and by the time they realize that they are not, well it will be FAR too late to do anything about it.

Why spend the money if it brings you ZERO on return?

Fake watches are made to LOOK real, not act that way.

Well, some dealers' watches are claimed that they are waterproof and tested. In truth, I have no idea if it is true. There will be a people tell you that if you are worried about taking your watch off and pointed out for being rep, then by the gen watch( which kinda beats the purpose of posting this thread), so don't be offended by it( happen too many times).

I do agree with you , however, if $50.00 Timex is water proof or resistant, why not several hundreds dollor rep shoudn't be waterproof? At least, we should be able to ask that question.

My boss has a gen Royal Oak. He had it serviced, went on holiday, went swimming ... and it turned out tobe as waterproof as a tea-bag. So he sent it back to AP. they serviced it, he went swimming... and guess what?

Yeah... it filled up.

If you get this level of water resistance from a gen, what chance do our reps have?

Its a lottery.

My boss has a gen Royal Oak. He had it serviced, went on holiday, went swimming ... and it turned out tobe as waterproof as a tea-bag. So he sent it back to AP. they serviced it, he went swimming... and guess what?

Yeah... it filled up.

If you get this level of water resistance from a gen, what chance do our reps have?

Its a lottery.

That AD must have been a Rep AD. :bangin:

Always enjoy your post. :lol:

I do miss you and Demsy's posts back i RWG1.

I've got an answer for you and your inquisitive friends. Tell them its a fake and you have no problem with head scratching.

I have two $2500+ diving rated genuines and I NEVER wear them in water. I save that honor for a couple of bullet proof and replaceable Seiko divers. If you wont tell your friends the truth, tell them they'd have to be nuts to wear a $5000 watch in the drink.

First of all I agree, why the hell are you lieing to your friends? What the hell kind of "friendships" do you maintain where decpetion is a central part of it... THAT makes me scratch my head.

But all that aside for a second peopel are making a common mistake here and one that a lot of people have a hard time overcoming with fake watches; Unlike the legit retail world when it comes to fakes COST DOES NOT EQUATE TO QUALITY!

People are asking is a $25 Timex can be water proof then why not a $300 fake sub, the answer is that the fake sub is not as good of a value, is make to decieve people (notably the buyers who often think they are getting a deal on a genuine) and cost whatever a dealer feels he can get away with charging... it is NOT based on how much the watch cost to produce or it's quality (or lack thereof).

Timex produces millions of watches macking a reasonable profit on each watch, a fake watch dealer sells a watch for whatever the helkl he can get away with. Some crappy scam dealers wil sell you the same non waterproof sub for $1000, others will sell that same watch for $180, it is the EXACT SAME item, agfain, cost does not equate to quality.

Finally that same sub costs in the area of $15-$20 to produce in China, you are paying more because you want the name "Rolex" on the dial, NOT because it is a well made time piece (which most of the time it simply is not).

So not to be that guy but if you want to swim with a watch buy a gen (even a cheap one) and go at it... if you want to lie to your friends buy a fake and come up with some excuse to stay dry.

@Dumb Wang....!

Definantly a great answer but when im going swiming with a few freinds and they are going swiming with their watches and im taking mine off they are kinda scatching their heads saying what are you doing...

Why not buy a genuine...then you can swim with all your friends.....better still get them to buy a Noobmariner from me.....then you can all take off your reps and just play water sports all day without fear of being outed....!

You know the old song.....!

Frank met Joe whilst working out at the YMCA.....on the floor of a darkened shower-room........ for an hour or two they did lay.....it was Greek to them....and so on and so forth.....:lol:

Edited by TTK

I just dont get why the dealers here wouldnt make the watch waterproof. I bought a day date from george at watchmaker9 and was glad to pay what i paid mainly because i knew i was getting what i paid for. Everything is perfect and its waterproof. i have been into three different AD's as i own a few genuine rolexs and everytime they where so impressed with the quality and worksmanship. I have nothing against the dealers here and if they offered their watches to be waterproof i would gladly pay more and buy a few of them.

D

:feedtroll3pr:

This appears to me to be a feeble attempt at a "creative" advertising attempt by george - the scammer called watchmaker9

i'm not sure why i'm so hostile tonight, but, this moron picked the wrong day to pull [censored] on the forum.

All his posts are about how wonderful george is - i don't need to go on, if some unsuspecting newb 9 months from now stumbles onto this thread - be sure to read a real review of watchmaker9/ George (who is not the only george out there)

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...;hl=watchmaker9

Guest chronomat123

Definitely seen this before. My old roomate had a gen Breitling Headwind I sold him. I never took it near water but when I sold it to him he wore it in the shower frequently. One day there was a ton of moisture under the crystal. Damn thing leaked in the shower. Cost him $600 to get a new ETA from Breitling.

How often do we need to go over this topic anyway? It's always "who has the best Sub" and "why isn't it guaranteed water-resistant." And the answer is always "Rolex" and "because dealers don't represent anything they don't have to."

And who are these people who live in constant fear of suddenly going swimming, such that they can't possibly plan around it? "I'm worried that I will be wearing my rep and spontaneously a group swim will break out, and I'll have no recourse other than taking a chance on the watch or admitting the truth and I refuse to do either." Is this really such a likely or major concern? And maybe you should think about what it is you're trying to prove by wearing a rep ALL THE TIME?

I realize that it would be nice if reps were water-resistant. Actually, many are. But I don't understand this silly rationale "I might be forced to swim with people at any time" for why they should be so. Besides, gen owners don't wear their gens to swim, climb rocks, whatever -- regardless of water-resistance, for most people it makes only good sense not to use $4,000 watches as daily beaters. So why couldn't you explain you don't want to swim wearing it? It's actually a dead giveaway your watch is fake when you don't use common sense; last summer I was in Guam with my wife when I spotted some Japanese kid (couldn't have been more than 20) on the beach wearing a "Paul Newman Daytona." Yeah, young kid vacationing at the entirely mediocre Guam Marriott wearing a PN Daytona while snorkling . . . that's not completely ludicrous or anything.

I realize that it would be nice if reps were water-resistant. Actually, many are. But I don't understand this silly rationale "I might be forced to swim with people at any time" for why they should be so. Besides, gen owners don't wear their gens to swim, climb rocks, whatever -- regardless of water-resistance, for most people it makes only good sense not to use $4,000 watches as daily beaters. So why couldn't you explain you don't want to swim wearing it? It's actually a dead giveaway your watch is fake when you don't use common sense; last summer I was in Guam with my wife when I spotted some Japanese kid (couldn't have been more than 20) on the beach wearing a "Paul Newman Daytona." Yeah, young kid vacationing at the entirely mediocre Guam Marriott wearing a PN Daytona while snorkling . . . that's not completely ludicrous or anything.

Hmmm.. How so very true... :thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim:

>>>And who are these people who live in constant fear of suddenly going swimming, such that they can't possibly plan around it? "I'm worried that I will be wearing my rep and spontaneously a group swim will break out,<<<<

Very funny and very true, thanks for the laugh!

I own a gen Sub and other than one time when I was faced with either wearing it while diving or leaving it unsupervised on a boat full of strangers I NEVER wear it whiel swimming, showering etc. nor do I wear ANY of my gens (save for specific modern dive watches).

Wearing a watch in the shower is just plain idiotic regardless of if it is fake or not and I do not happen to like wearing a watch while swimming, it is cumbersome and awkward.

And since we are on the topic who has friends that monitor your action so closely as to even notice if you have your watch on or not? If this mythical spontaneous group swim does happen to break out my guess is that everyoen is so estaticly happy and giddy with delight (I mean what else would cause a spur of the moment group swim anyway) that they will not even notice you slip your fake watch off.

Dumb Wang... being outed... :lol:

@Dumb Wang....!

Why not buy a genuine...then you can swim with all your friends.....better still get them to buy a Noobmariner from me.....then you can all take off your reps and just play water sports all day without fear of being outed....!

You know the old song.....!

Frank met Joe whilst working out at the YMCA.....on the floor of a darkened shower-room........ for an hour or two they did lay.....it was Greek to them....and so on and so forth.....:lol:

@TTK: better still get them to buy a Noobmariner from me..

By any chance, is it still available? May be in different colors?(Pepsi dial for instance? :your test result was quite amazing!).

@ TVT: as you are saying, I would not venture into water or far away country trave with $$$ gen watch unless you are heading to some place really nice. My point is that so often, people are into nip picking of font size or color of lume , dial size etc, while functional aspect of watches, in here would be H2O resistant or proof, is so forgivngen just cause it is a fake or rep. I'm glad that some dealers are actually putting H2O proofing as part of watch.

D

Hi george :bye1:

Yeah... it filled up.

Wow.

Just a few days ago I had 'waterproof' test performed on the two APROs that I got from Josh, and both they passed the test without a blink...

They do make them waterproof, it's just that they're not daft enough to put a guarantee to it. :D

I think this the case for a lot of watches.

I think most of the reps are water resistant.

Find a local watchmaker you trust and have him/her service it and waterproof it. Or send it to someone like The Zigmeister, Finepics, etc.

Keep in mind, although a watch (gen or rep) says water resistant, does not mean you can/should go swimming with it (as others have pointed out).

A dive watch, sure, you should be able to take a swim...but how about a dressy chronograph?

Most of the time, even with gen watches, water resistant means "feel free to wear while washing your hands and if you get caught in the rain, no need to stress."

And just to add, you should NEVER wear ANY watch in a pool. Chlorine drys out the rubber seals. Which is also why watches should be serviced on occasion.

Echoing other folks sentiment. My gen AP leaked like a sponge and now it needs a new movement ($1,500). A gen Breitling sat on my wrist at the beach. The crystal just pops off. What makes you think gens are anymore waterproof than reps. On this matter it is not that reps are not reps or gens are gens. A watch is a watch. A watch that is properly serviced, greased and sealed will do better than one that is not. I don't swim with gens anymore - only reps. But they are all properly serviced compliments of Ziggy. Whether Josh does it before you receive it or you get it done afterwards most better reps can be made "swimproof'. :)

And no one has ever criticized me for taking off a watch (gen or rep) before going swimming. That AP still sits on my desk as a paperweight. :lol:

>>>And who are these people who live in constant fear of suddenly going swimming, such that they can't possibly plan around it? "I'm worried that I will be wearing my rep and spontaneously a group swim will break out,<<<<

Very funny and very true, thanks for the laugh!

I own a gen Sub and other than one time when I was faced with either wearing it while diving or leaving it unsupervised on a boat full of strangers I NEVER wear it whiel swimming, showering etc. nor do I wear ANY of my gens (save for specific modern dive watches).

Wearing a watch in the shower is just plain idiotic regardless of if it is fake or not and I do not happen to like wearing a watch while swimming, it is cumbersome and awkward.

And since we are on the topic who has friends that monitor your action so closely as to even notice if you have your watch on or not? If this mythical spontaneous group swim does happen to break out my guess is that everyoen is so estaticly happy and giddy with delight (I mean what else would cause a spur of the moment group swim anyway) that they will not even notice you slip your fake watch off.

Great post!

I have a friend who bought a genuine Seadweller second hand on the bay for the sole porpose of its' performance. He is a surfer and a basketball referee and never takes the watch off except to sleep. The watch has never failed him in terms of time keeping and water resistance in 10 years of daily wear. It is a tribute to the excellence of this genuine watch.

The watch also looks like [censored]. The pearl is long gone, the bezel has so many scratches the numbers are un readable and the case and bracelet look like they have gone through a cotton gin. I'm sure there are others like him who have invested thousands in their watches strictly for their performance and reliability but unless you are a sniper on tactical manuvers or a Navy diver, reliable performance can be had for far less money.

I know watch collectors are divided into the two distinct groups, those who wear and those who own and display. I fall into the "keep my watches under glass" catagory. I think nothing suggests a fake faster than seeing someone with a Rolex working on changing their oil or loading plywood into the back of a truck.....or wearing one into the ocean. Want to impress your shallow friends with your fake watch? Treat it like you spent thousands on it. Take it off before you do anything the least bit risky and wrap it in a muslin cloth.