When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage 18k Datora

MMGJ

Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum and I would like some input/ information on a vintage Breitling Datora I am working on. I am new to this forum but I am sure it is like most other forums where pricing is not to be discussed other than via PM. My customer is curious about details surrounding this watch including some way to determine value. Any input would be appreciated. Pics are attached for everyone's reference and pleasure. (Don't know why pics got inverted after being uploaded.)

post-54438-0-86293200-1369061028_thumb.j

post-54438-0-39587200-1369061147_thumb.j

post-54438-0-81383900-1369061165_thumb.j

Edited by MMGJ

That is an 18k breitling datora 785 from the mid to late 1940's. A gent's rare wristwatch with chronograph, 30 min. and 12h counter and full calendar three-body, push back. Dial: silvered, raised indexes, raised Arabic numerals, auxiliary seconds, 30 min. and 12h counter, day-, date- and month indication, alpha hands. Movm.: 2/3 plate movement, rhodium-plated, ground, polished screws, finely ground chronograph steel parts, ratchet wheel, Glucydur screw balance, blued hairspring.

This for the time very complicated watch is equipped with the noble Valjoux caliber 72 C, a further development of the already come to fame at Rolex Valjoux 72 and shows in addition to the day, the month in the upper center windows, the date using a own central pointer, and even the hours, minutes and seconds on separately to the 3 additional subdials.

Value I'd say from 25k to 30k.

• 2 months later...

Very nice!  Here's the immediate predecessor, with the AOPA wings on the dial.

gigandet_1.jpg

gigandet_2.jpg

Hi, I don't think this variation of the 785 with AOPA wings exists, is it yours?. I do have the 785 too, great watches!

Edited by cruvon

Hi Cruvon, yep it's mine.  Pretty rare bird, I've never seen another one anywhere.

Didn't mean to disapoint you, I would cross check if your exact reference variation existed. The AOPA wings appeared from about 1955 and on Navitimers and Cosmonautes only, not on 785's as far as I am aware, what's your serial numbe? Here's my 785 from 1946 and a 1955 AOPA Navitimer

2.jpg

IMG_0051res.jpg

Edited by cruvon

Yep, and there's the rub ... nobody has ever seen a Datora with the AOPA wings.  It's like it was a transitional model between the Datora and Navitimer, but sprung from the workbench of Charles Gigandet.

• Like 1

Also, any help with how to deal with the inverted photo upload problem would be helpful also.

I uploaded the first three photos above via my iPad. They were taken right-side-up originally but somehow got inverted when I uploaded them (same result regardless of whether I used the basic or advanced uploading tool). Any recommendations on how to fix this? I am only asking for the sake of others viewing pleasure.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Thank you all for your nice comments. To those who may be interested in acquiring the Datora shown in the original post...respectable offers will be entertained. Please contact me via private message only. I can provide further info regarding functionality and cosmetic condition upon request.