When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

panerai153

Several months ago, i bought a DW 6238 case set from another nice member here on the forum. Of course if you have a case set, you got to do something, right? So after looking at lots of images of the Pre-Daytona 6238, i decided that the silver dial was what i wanted I emailed DW and asked if he had a dial, which he did. I sent the payment and he sent the dial, and then I waited, and waited, and waited some more. i was pretty sure the dial was lost somewhere between China and my local PO. Well, after about 45 days, the dial showd up at my local PO Friday. In the meantime, I ordered an received an ETA 7753 movement.Tthe member who sold me the case set sent two sets of hands, one black, the other silver. So It's all packed up and heading up to the master. This will probably be my last rep project with Ziggy, nothinig else on the horizon, and he's closing up shop at the end of the year, so sadly this one may be my swan song with him.

Hopefully, this one will go together with a minimum of glitches. It seems like every project I've touched lately has been about 2-3X more complicated and expensive than I expected!!

Here are a few  photos of the parts before packing them up.

post-327-0-19035100-1369104332_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-21370900-1369104311_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-28839800-1369104348_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-11788100-1369104365_thumb.jpg

M, what really kills me about DW (a topic I could write a book about) is that his first albino dial would have been an excellent base on which to create a good, silver 6238 dial.  I would gladly give up the 6238's slightly smaller subdials if they were properly indented and textured. 

By the way, did you catch that rusted and pitted 6238 dial that sold for $800 a little while back?  It was in terrible condition, but I was still tempted.  Then there was that fair-condition 6238 dial that showed up on VRM for a hefty $6,500...

You can tame alot of the texture problems with the application of matte varnish, but there is nothing you can do to correct for their size (too small) inaccuracy. In the case of something like a 6238, I would hold out (or save) for a better dial. It would be a pity to limit the quality of such an iconic piece with that dial.

6238waterjar030b1.jpg

Freddy, I agree, I was a little disappointed in this dial, having never seen a recent photo, I bought this one sort of "Sight unseen" If the build goes well, and I like the watch, I will look for a better dial. Any suggestions as to might have one that is better than the DW and will work with a 7753 movement?

Unless you have an unlimited budget, you might want to wait until you receive his price before popping the champagne. Likewise, although MQ seems to be a bit more reliable than Phong when it comes to delivering an item as advertised, as always, be prepared for variations.

freddy: Yes, I remember how much you paid for your PN dial, and that is visually closer to the gen than either of these 6238s. The other problem parts are the handset, as I'm not aware of any aftermarket source that carries the long minute or the skinny subdial hands.

• 3 months later...