When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintagizing a 5514...my first "Dremeltime"

docthor

Last week I bought a Comex 5514 which already had been vintagized.

The dial and the hands are pretty cool, done by a well known modder.

The case, bezel and inlay was vintagized by the previous owner and he...hmmm...well...let's say he has his own sense of vintagizing a watch :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Well...surprise surprise I have a Dremel which I never had used before and so I took the oportunity to do my first very own mods :)

After half an hour with the Dremel and about 20 min with a silver polish cloth and Polywatch the case looked like I thought a case of a 40something years old watch should look like. To bad that you guys cannot see that the case looks still "used" under the polished surface. Maybe I can take some pics tomorrow to show you :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Okay...case done...but what shall I do with the inlay???

During my Dremel session I tried to flaten out the scratches but that didn't turn well :(

Okay...inlay is almost gone to hell...it couldn't get worse, let's burn it :D

After 4 min on the Ceran plate it had that cool brownish golden look, perfect for this watch since I planed to wear it when I'm dressed in brown :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my wooden drums using Tupperware.

:)...the inlay colour was done on purpose. I really love that brown. You are right...they usually don't turn that colour only from getting old but since I already have a nice 5513 with a very nice vintagized inlay I don't need another one ;)

I think I'll leave it like it is now since this one should be a cheap summer beater. If I feel the need to get a more accurate 5514 I'll get everything new since nothing on this watch is really good :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Case needs to match the patina on the insert and dial. I would soften up the edges, especially top of the lugs, put more dings in it and polish over them a bit, then wipe down with acid, light buff with a cloth til desired shine returns. Easier said than done though. Might want to practice on an old case first if you are attached to this one.