When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6263 Build questions

CptTripps

Freddy you make me sick with these perfect daytonas, also is it wrong to get a hard on when i look at these? lol I would really like to build one but these are like Boats you have to always have to 

B reak 

O ut 

A nother 

T housand 

As much as I hate to say it, these are very costly projects. But, on the other hand, done well, they provide the feel/function of any other gen 62xx Daytonas @ a fraction of the price (even if that fraction is still a hefty sum to a civilian).

Oh & sorry about the hard-ons. Try wearing baggy trousers & it will be our little secret.

Sidenote: Would any of you pay $500 for this bezel --->  eBay Item: 130915645595

There's a nick in the corner, and I'm wondering if it looks worse in the pics than it would be in real life?

1stly, with scam-style pics (small & dark) & only 16 previous sales (his only previous visible sale, a Daytona dial, which is itself questionable), you should assume this to be an aftermarket part until/unless he can prove otherwise (with a concrete provenance).

2nd, after a bit of image-editing to unhide some of the details, I am still not clear whether it is a poorly printed gen or poorly printed aftermarket part (my gut says the former, but we are not on speaking terms right now :) ).

post-3175-0-28411800-1370017678_thumb.jp

3rd, what you describe as a 'nick' is pretty serious damage & I also see some 'nicks' around the 60.

If you want to gamble on it being a damaged gen, then its value is up to you, the buyer. Without much better pics, I would probably keep my powder dry & wait for the next 1.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm shipping it off to Mike on Monday. Let him deal with the finer points of proper assembly!

I'm learning what I'm good at, and what I'm not. With practice, I'll get better. I just don't want to experiment on high-dollar stuff.

Me either! Mike's going to put humpty together for me. I'll be waiting with bated breath. I have a gen bracelet on route, so hopefully I'm sporting it by the end of the week!

My 1655 is with a local watch smith right now too, so I was forced to wear my gen 116400V today. I forgot how much I love that watch.

Anticipation is killing me.

Just got the Gen bracelet from another member...and now I have to wait for the UPS man tomorrow to bring me the head that MD2020 put together for me. The only pic he sent was of the movement when he put the hands on...I haven't seen it since then!

post-53458-0-95316500-1370543286_thumb.j

Thanks to MD2020 for getting this spin back to me before the weekend!

Slapped the gen bracelet on...and we're in business. I'm going to replace the dial and hands soon, and the bezel gets swapped out with the correct black bezel next week...but I've got a good looking wrist for today.

post-53458-137061578108.jpg

I'm having an issue with the chronograph functions. Not Mike's fault at all...could be when I was monkeying around with the movement before I sent it to him. Here's what's going on...

I wound the watch, and started it...then after 90sec, it completely stopped.

Stopped the chrono...smacked it (lightly) and then reset it, but the sec hand went to 54sec.

I started....waited 15sec...stopped. Reset...the hand went to 5sec.

I let it sit for a bit, and finally it reset at 60sec, but I'm afraid to use it as a chromo.

Chrono power wheel?

Yeah, the hands is where it's at for me. I'm going to keep hunting for something a little nicer. In also waiting on a better dial that can tie this in.

Right now...it sits on my wrist and looks pretty bad-ass. That's good enough for now.

It seems that the hands on ALL of the vintage daytonas are a pain, i wonder if its the crappy metal they use to make them?

Aluminium on rep hands vs. brass or white gold for gen hands,

Not the same thickness and "profile" on rep hands. Rep hands are flat and poorly made. Gen hands are in "3d", with much more metal, they are more solid and much better constructed

When you get new hands let me know and ill swap them out for you.

Hopefully gen hands this time, because all the rep hands have the same problem of slipping chrono hands / bent over the time then break

Epoxy fixing is not the way to go. It's a crap "solution" on this kind of build, not watchmaking. There is some nice gen hands on VRF right now for less than 400€. You can remove the black paint on the chrono hand and you have the correct way to do that correctly :)

Otherwise, this is a very nice build CptTripps, you can consider yourself lucky to have done it this quickly :) :)

Edited by Valty

Which one is VRF? If someone has an account there, I'd gladly pay 400€ to have a set of hands that were right.

My goal is to be as close to genuine as possible.

Please look here :

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207673/message/1370600190/FS-+--++manual+Daytona+Handset+only+390+Euros+--

"Old style" hands, missing the 3 hands for sub-dials, but the price is good IMO. No doubt about the fact they are original. The black paint can be easily removed by a skilled watchmaker to recover the metal color >>> you should check with him before buying them ;)

The only bad point is they are not "good" in terms of period for your 6263. It's more for 6238, 39, 40, 62, etc. >>> personally, I think they will looks good with a PN dial. 

Edited by Valty