When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch running (ridiculously) fast

Skywalker

I recently got my IWC spitfire back from a very reputable merchant. He was swapping out the movement for me (A7750 to Valjoux). He also regulated the movement.

However, now that I have it, the watch is gaining a ton of time. Like, an hour/day. The watch isn't magentized; I am not sure what is happening. Could it be caused by the fact that the watch needs to be fully wound?

I'm a little puzzled because this watch came straight from repair and was regulated, so it isn't like it was caused by some kind of damage. 

Thanks for any advice,

rolexian

Edited by rolexian

Well it could be alot of things, It could still be magnitized, or it could be the mainspring not being lubercated correctly, or you could just be looking at the time incorrectly and thinking its gaining alot of time lol jk.

Also you might want to talk to this "reputable merchant" about why its doing this. Was it fine right after you got it back? and if so when did it start? 

It is unlikely to be magnetized; I did the compass test. I'm wondering if the mainspring got stuck somehow.

I literally got the watch yesterday, set the time, put the watch on a winder, and realized the issue later in the night.

The "reputable merchant" is one who is quite well-known around these parts. He does business on both RWI and Repgeek; I don't want to mention the name because

1) Could be a completely minor issue

2) I bet he'd be willing to fix it free of chrage

3) I don't want to uncessarily besmirch his reputation.

Yes, one loop of the main spring could be stuck to the adjacent loop, due to an impact during shipping. A swift slap in the palm is prescribed for this condition.

Haha. I was going to wait a little longer to confirm, but I actually saw this suggestion on another forum regarding a Seiko watch. I tried it (two slaps), and it looks like it worked! At least, 25 minutes in the watch is keeping great time...

An old-time Rolex watchmaker once suggested that to me, when my 6536 started running ridiculously fast. 

Face down, twhack it into your palm, Robert's your uncle.

I would definitely recommend against applying any sudden impacts to the watch. That is just as likely to cause more serious issues than it is to solve the problem.
Assuming the watch is not magnetized, most likely 1 of the loops of the hairspring are caught on an adjacent wheel (center wheel), which shortens its functional length & causes the balance wheel (& watch) to run faster. If you remove the caseback & inspect the hairspring closely (with a loop or magnifying glass), you will probably see where it is hanging up.

I would definitely recommend against applying any sudden impacts to the watch. That is just as likely to cause more serious issues than it is to solve the problem.

Assuming the watch is not magnetized, most likely 1 of the loops of the hairspring are caught on an adjacent wheel (center wheel), which shortens its functional length & causes the balance wheel (& watch) to run faster. If you remove the caseback & inspect the hairspring closely (with a loop or magnifying glass), you will probably see where it is hanging up.

While I like this advice, the force I applied was light enough that if the watch couldn't handle it (Valjoux's native shock absorption), I would have a whole other problem.